Definitions for fishingˈfɪʃ ɪŋ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word fishing
the act of someone who fishes as a diversion
the occupation of catching fish for a living
The activity or sport of catching fish from a body of water.
a good day's fishing
The business of catching fish in large quantities for sale.
the fishing industry
A place for catching fish.
Of, or pertaining to fishing.
the act, practice, or art of one who fishes
pertaining to fishing; used in fishery; engaged in fishing; as, fishing boat; fishing tackle; fishing village
Origin: [From Fishing, n.]
Fishing is the activity of trying to catch fish. Fish are normally caught in the wild. Techniques for catching fish include hand gathering, spearing, netting, angling and trapping. The term fishing may be applied to catching other aquatic animals such as molluscs, cephalopods, crustaceans, and echinoderms. The term is not normally applied to catching farmed fish, or to aquatic mammals, such as whales, where the term whaling is more appropriate. According to FAO statistics, the total number of commercial fishermen and fish farmers is estimated to be 38 million. Fisheries and aquaculture provide direct and indirect employment to over 500 million people. In 2005, the worldwide per capita consumption of fish captured from wild fisheries was 14.4 kilograms, with an additional 7.4 kilograms harvested from fish farms. In addition to providing food, modern fishing is also a recreational pastime.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
An heroic treatment tried by some laymen to avoid falling asleep in church on Sunday.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'fishing' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3137
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'fishing' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3488
Rank popularity for the word 'fishing' in Nouns Frequency: #1334
Translations for fishing
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- صيد السمكArabic
- pescaCatalan, Valencian
- fiskeri, lystfiskeri, fiskeDanish
- Fischen, FischfangGerman
- fiŝkapti, fiŝi, fiŝkaptado, ĉasfiŝiEsperanto
- urheilukalastus, kalapaikka, kalastusalue, kalastusurheilu, kalatalous, kalavedet, kalastus, apajaFinnish
- ձկնորսական, ձկնորսությունArmenian
- 釣り, 釣り場, 漁, 漁場, 漁業Japanese
- ការស្ទូចត្រី, ការនេសាទត្រីKhmer
- zveja, zvejasvieta, zvejas vieta, zvejniecībaLatvian
- риба́рство, ри́болов, риболовен, рибарскиMacedonian
- hengelsport, sportvisserij, stek, vissen, visserij, visvangstDutch
- fisking, fiskeNorwegian
- wędkarstwo, rybołówstwo, rybackiPolish
- pescaria, pescaPortuguese
- рыба́лка, [[рыбный, рыболо́вствоRussian
- fiskevatten, fiske, fiskande, fiskareSwedish
- câu cáVietnamese
Get even more translations for fishing »
Find a translation for the fishing definition in other languages:
Select another language: