battle, conflict, fight, engagement(noun)
a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
"Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
fight, fighting, combat, scrap(noun)
the act of fighting; any contest or struggle
"a fight broke out at the hockey game"; "there was fighting in the streets"; "the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap"
an aggressive willingness to compete
"the team was full of fight"
an intense verbal dispute
"a violent fight over the bill is expected in the Senate"
a boxing or wrestling match
"the fight was on television last night"
contend, fight, struggle(verb)
be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight
"the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"; "Militant groups are contending for control of the country"
fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend(verb)
fight against or resist strongly
"The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
make a strenuous or labored effort
"She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath"
crusade, fight, press, campaign, push, agitate(verb)
exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
"The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate"
to strive or contend for victory, with armies or in single combat; to attempt to defeat, subdue, or destroy an enemy, either by blows or weapons; to contend in arms; -- followed by with or against
to act in opposition to anything; to struggle against; to contend; to strive; to make resistance
to carry on, or wage, as a conflict, or battle; to win or gain by struggle, as one's way; to sustain by fighting, as a cause
to contend with in battle; to war against; as, they fought the enemy in two pitched battles; the sloop fought the frigate for three hours
to cause to fight; to manage or maneuver in a fight; as, to fight cocks; to fight one's ship
a battle; an engagement; a contest in arms; a combat; a violent conflict or struggle for victory, between individuals or between armies, ships, or navies, etc
a struggle or contest of any kind
strength or disposition for fighting; pugnacity; as, he has a great deal of fight in him
a screen for the combatants in ships
Origin: [OE. fihten, fehten, AS. feohtan; akin to D. vechten, OHG. fehtan, G. fechten, Sw. fkta, Dan. fegte, and perh. to E. fist; cf. L. pugnare to fight, pugnus fist.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fīt, v.i. to strive with: to contend in war or in single combat.—v.t. to engage in conflict with: to gain by fight: to cause to fight:—pr.p. fight′ing; pa.t. and pa.p. fought (fawt).—n. a struggle: a combat: a battle or engagement.—n. Fight′er.—adj. Fight′ing, engaged in or fit for war.—n. the act of fighting or contending.—ns. Fight′ing-cock, a gamecock, a pugnacious fellow; Fight′ing-fish (Betta pugnax), a small Siamese fresh-water fish, kept for its extraordinary readiness for fighting, bets being laid on the issue.—Fight it out, to struggle on until the end; Fight shy of, to avoid from mistrust.—Live like fighting-cocks, to get the best of meat and drink. [A.S. feohtan; Ger. fechten.]
Song lyrics by fight -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by fight on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'fight' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2651
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'fight' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2181
Rank popularity for the word 'fight' in Nouns Frequency: #1285
Rank popularity for the word 'fight' in Verbs Frequency: #211
The numerical value of fight in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of fight in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I had a fight in October 2007. After the fight was over, I sat and I didn’t remember the fight.
You may not know where you're going to fight or when you're going to fight. Therefore you need to focus on your readiness, being ready to fight sooner rather than later. Days rather than weeks.
I don't like seeing that, obviously, but I think people know that I will fight for them. I'll fight for their jobs, I'll fight for their families, I'll fight on behalf of better education and health care.
This dog was essentially dying in front of me, i asked him to fight. And I begged him to fight. I said, 'If you fight, I will fight with you, and we will do whatever it takes to get you healthy and happy.'.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hillswe shall never surrender.
Images & Illustrations of fight
Translations for fight
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قاتل, تقاتل, تحاربArabic
- бойка, сутычка, бітва, бой, барацьба, біцца, змагаццаBelarusian
- бой, сражение, битка, борба, бия, боря, сражавам се, бия сеBulgarian
- རྒྱ་འདྲེTibetan Standard
- lluita, combat, lluitar, barallar-se, combatreCatalan, Valencian
- boj, rvačka, zápas, bitka, bitva, bojovnost, bojovat, zápasit, bítCzech
- kamp, ballade, slag, slagsmål, kæmpe, udkæmpe, bekæmpe, slåsDanish
- Prügelei, Kampf, Schlacht, Keilerei, Streit, Kampfgeist, fechten, streiten, kämpfen, bekämpfenGerman
- πολεμώ, καταπολεμώ, πάληGreek
- lucha, luchar, combatir, pelear, peleaSpanish
- võitlema, kaklema, sõdimaEstonian
- borroka, borrokaldi, bataila, gudu, borroka egin, borrokatu, aurka eginBasque
- پیکار, نبرد, مسابقه, مبارزه, دعوا, نزاع, کشمکش, تلاش کردن, مقابله کردن, مبارزه کردن, جنگیدنPersian
- kamppailu, taistelu, tappelu, taistelutahto, tapella, taistella, tsempataFinnish
- combat, bataille, combativité, lutte, bagarre, combattre, se battre, guerroyerFrench
- fjochtsjeWestern Frisian
- troid, comhraicIrish
- còmhrag, cogadh, blàr, sabaid, cogScottish Gaelic
- loitar, combatirGalician
- קרב, רוח קרב, מאבק, לחימה, ריב, רב, נאבק, נלחםHebrew
- युद्ध, लड़ाई, झगड़ा, झगड़ना, लड़नाHindi
- küzdelem, harcol, verekszikHungarian
- կռիվ, պայքար, մարտ, կռվել, պայքարել, մարտնչելArmenian
- slagur, bardagi, gegn, slást, berjast, heyja, viðIcelandic
- lotta, combattimento, incontro, battaglia, rissa, combattere, lottare, azzuffarsi, battersiItalian
- 戦闘, ファイト, 闘志, 喧嘩, 試合, 戦意, 戦い, 対決, 戦う, 闘うJapanese
- ბრძოლა, შებრძოლებაGeorgian
- ұрысу, күресу, соғысу, төбелесуKazakh
- វាយតប់, តស៊ូ, ប្រយុទ្ឋKhmer
- 싸움, 다투다, 싸우다Korean
- شهڕ, شهڕ کردنKurdish
- pugna, pugno, pugnare, luctor, combattuoLatin
- ຮົບ, ຕໍ່ສູ້Lao
- mūšis, muštynės, grumtynės, kova, peštynės, kautis, peštis, muštis, grumtis, kovotiLithuanian
- cīņa, kauja, kautiņš, kauties, cīnītiesLatvian
- битка, бој, бориMacedonian
- strijd, gevecht, boel, vechtlust, strijden, voor, ijveren, vechten, tegen, bevechten, opkomen, uitvechten, met, bekampenDutch
- slåsskamp, stridslyst, slag, kamp, slåss, kjempe for, kjempe, bekjempeNorwegian
- bój, starcie, bojowość, bójka, bitwa, batalia, walka, walczyć, bićPolish
- briga, luta, combatividade, batalha, combate, contra, lutar, enfrentar, combater, [[lutar]] [[contra]]Portuguese
- cumbat, cumbata, lutga, lutgar, cumbatterRomansh
- luptă, bătaie, a, se bate, combateRomanian
- бой, стычка, сражение, борьба, баталия, драка, битва, бороться, сражаться, биться, дратьсяRussian
- борба, borba, boriti, боритиSerbo-Croatian
- bitva, boj, bojovať, biťSlovak
- luftë, luftënAlbanian
- fajt, kamp, strid, match, slåss, strida, kämpa, bekämpaSwedish
- savaş, dövüş, savaşmak, dövüşmekTurkish
- битва, боротьба, бійка, сутичка, бій, боротися, битисяUkrainian
- chiến đấuVietnamese
Get even more translations for fight »
Find a translation for the fight definition in other languages:
Select another language: