the experiencing of affective and emotional states
"she had a feeling of euphoria"; "he had terrible feelings of guilt"; "I disliked him and the feeling was mutual"
impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion(noun)
a vague idea in which some confidence is placed
"his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying"
spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell(noun)
the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
"the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
a physical sensation that you experience
"he had a queasy feeling"; "I had a strange feeling in my leg"; "he lost all feeling in his arm"
touch, touch sensation, tactual sensation, tactile sensation, feeling(noun)
the sensation produced by pressure receptors in the skin
"she likes the touch of silk on her skin"; "the surface had a greasy feeling"
feeling, intuitive feeling(noun)
an intuitive understanding of something
"he had a great feeling for music"
Sensation, particularly through the skin.
The wool on my arm produced a strange feeling.
The house gave me a feeling of dread.
Emotional state or well-being.
You really hurt my feelings when you said that.
Emotional attraction or desire.
Many people still have feelings for their first love.
He has no feeling for what he can say to somebody in such a fragile emotional condition.
An opinion, an attitude.
Despite the rough voice, the coach is surprisingly feeling.
possessing great sensibility; easily affected or moved; as, a feeling heart
expressive of great sensibility; attended by, or evincing, sensibility; as, he made a feeling representation of his wrongs
the sense by which the mind, through certain nerves of the body, perceives external objects, or certain states of the body itself; that one of the five senses which resides in the general nerves of sensation distributed over the body, especially in its surface; the sense of touch; nervous sensibility to external objects
an act or state of perception by the sense above described; an act of apprehending any object whatever; an act or state of apprehending the state of the soul itself; consciousness
the capacity of the soul for emotional states; a high degree of susceptibility to emotions or states of the sensibility not dependent on the body; as, a man of feeling; a man destitute of feeling
any state or condition of emotion; the exercise of the capacity for emotion; any mental state whatever; as, a right or a wrong feeling in the heart; our angry or kindly feelings; a feeling of pride or of humility
that quality of a work of art which embodies the mental emotion of the artist, and is calculated to affect similarly the spectator
Feeling is the nominalization of the verb to feel. The word was first used in the English language to describe the physical sensation of touch through either experience or perception. The word is also used to describe experiences, other than the physical sensation of touch, such as "a feeling of warmth". In psychology, the word is usually reserved for the conscious subjective experience of emotion. Phenomenology and heterophenomenology are philosophical approaches that provide some basis for knowledge of feelings. Many schools of psychotherapy depend on the therapist achieving some kind of understanding of the client's feelings, for which methodologies exist. Some theories of interpersonal relationships also have a role for shared feelings or understanding of another person's feelings. Perception of the physical world does not necessarily result in a universal reaction among receivers, but varies depending on one's tendency to handle the situation, how the situation relates to the receiver's past experiences, and any number of other factors. Feelings are also known as a state of consciousness, such as that resulting from emotions, sentiments or desires.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'feeling' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1476
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'feeling' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1317
Rank popularity for the word 'feeling' in Nouns Frequency: #351
The numerical value of feeling in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of feeling in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Images & Illustrations of feeling
Translations for feeling
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- emosies, emosie, gevoelens, voorgevoel, sensasie, intuïsie, gevoel, gevoelig, sensitiefAfrikaans
- усещане, осезание, чувство, чувства, емоцияBulgarian
- city, pocit, citCzech
- teimlad, teimladau, greddfWelsh
- Emotion, Gefühl, Gefühle, gefühlvoll, einfühlsamGerman
- emocioj, emocio, sentoj, sentemeco, opinio, natura talento, amsento, sento, impreso, sentemaEsperanto
- emoción, intuición, sentimientos, presentimiento, corazonada, sensación, sentimiento, sentimentalSpanish
- tunne, meeleoluEstonian
- احساس, حسPersian
- tunne, tuntemus, tunteellinenFinnish
- intuition, émotion, sentiments, sentiment, impression, sensation, sentimentalFrench
- faireachdainnScottish Gaelic
- הרגשה, רגשות, רגש, רגישה, רגישHebrew
- भावना, जज़्बात, एहसासHindi
- santimanHaitian Creole
- intuíció, érzés, megérzés, érzelem, érzelmek, érzékelés, érzések, együttérző, érzőHungarian
- զգացմունք, զգացումArmenian
- tilfinningar, tilfinningIcelandic
- sensazioni, senso, emozione, emozioni, urtare la suscettibiltà, sentimento, ferire i sentimenti, tatto, intuito, sensazioneItalian
- 恋, 気, 感覚, 感情, 直感, 敏感Japanese
- ههست, هۆشهKurdish
- Gefiller, Gefill, Intuitioun, EmotiounLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- jausmas, emocija, jutimas, pojūtisLithuanian
- emocija, jūtas, sajūtaLatvian
- perasaan, hatiMalay
- følelser, følelseNorwegian
- gevoelens, gevoel, emotie, voorgevoel, gevoeligDutch
- følelsar, følelseNorwegian Nynorsk
- uczucie, uczuciaPolish
- pressentimento, sensação, sentimentos, idéia, impressão, intuição, emoção, sensível, emotivo, sentimentalPortuguese
- sentiment, sentimente, sentimentalRomanian
- чувство, эмоция, симпатия, гордость, самолюбие, ощущение, предчувствие, чувствительныйRussian
- ocjeћaj, osjećaj, osecaj, осећајSerbo-Croatian
- känslor, sensation, känsla, känsligt, känsligSwedish
- అంతర్వాణి, అనుభూతి, భావంTelugu
- duygu, hissetme, his, hassas, duyarlı, duygusalTurkish
- rờ móVietnamese
Get even more translations for feeling »
Find a translation for the feeling definition in other languages:
Select another language: