Definitions for fallout
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word fallout
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the settling to the ground of airborne particles ejected into the atmosphere from the earth by explosions, eruptions, forest fires, etc., esp. such settling from nuclear explosions.
the particles themselves.
an incidental effect, outcome, or product.
Category: Common Vocabulary
Origin of fallout:
fallout, radioactive dust(noun)
the radioactive particles that settle to the ground after a nuclear explosion
side effect, fallout(noun)
any adverse and unwanted secondary effect
"a strategy to contain the fallout from the accounting scandal"
The event of small airborne particles falling to the ground in significant quantities as a result of major industrial activity, volcano eruption, sandstorm, nuclear explosion, etc.
The particles themselves.
On 26 April 1986 the reactor number four at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant located in the Soviet Union near Pripyat in Ukraine exploded. Further explosions and the resulting fire sent a plume of highly radioactive fallout into the atmosphere and over an extensive geographical area.
A negative side effect; an undesirable or unexpected consequence.
Psychological fallout in the shadow of terrorism, title of an article by Dr. Abraham Twerski, M.D. in .
A declined offer in a sales transaction when acceptance was presumed.
The person who declines such an offer.
Origin: From the verb fall out;
Fallout is a role-playing open world video game produced by Tim Cain, developed and published by Interplay in 1997. The game has a post-apocalyptic and retro-futuristic setting, in the aftermath a global nuclear war in the mid-22nd century, featuring an alternate history which deviates some time after World War II, where technology, politics and culture followed a different course. The protagonist of Fallout is an inhabitant of one of the government-contracted fallout shelters known as Vaults. In subsequent Fallout games, he or she is referred to as the "Vault Dweller". The game is considered to be the spiritual successor to the 1988 role-playing video game Wasteland. It is not an official sequel, although it was initially developed as one, because Interplay did not have the rights to Wasteland at that point. It was also intended to use Steve Jackson Games' GURPS system, but that deal fell through due to the excessive amounts of violence and gore included in the game, forcing Black Isle to change the already implemented GURPS system to the internally developed SPECIAL system. Fallout was critically acclaimed and inspired a number of sequels and spin-off games, known collectively as the Fallout series.
Anagrams of fallout
Translations for fallout
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
radioactive dust from a nuclear explosion etc.
- neerslag, newe-effekAfrikaans
- سَقْطٌ إشْعاعيArabic
- радиоактивни частициBulgarian
- pó radioativoPortuguese (BR)
- radioaktivní odpadCzech
- radioaktiver Niederschlag, der FalloutGerman
- radioaktivt nedfaldDanish
- κατάλοιπα πυρηνικής έκρηξηςGreek
- lluvia radioactivaSpanish
- radioaktiivne tolmEstonian
- ذرات رادیو اکتیوFarsi
- retombées radioactivesFrench
- נְשוֹרֶת רָדיוֹאָקטִבִיתHebrew
- परमाणु विस्फोट के बाद रेडियोधर्मी धूलHindi
- radioaktivne padalineCroatian
- radioaktív csapadékHungarian
- debu radioaktifIndonesian
- ricaduta radioattivaItalian
- 방사성 낙진Korean
- radioaktyviosios dulkėsLithuanian
- radioaktīvie nokrišņiLatvian
- debu radioaktifMalay
- radioaktivt nedfallNorwegian
- opad radioaktywnyPolish
- ذرات رادیو اکتیوPersian
- د راديو اكتيف ذراتPashto
- pó radioactivoPortuguese
- reziduuri radioactiveRomanian
- радиоактивные осадкиRussian
- rádioaktívny spadSlovak
- radioaktivne padavineSlovenian
- radioaktivna prašinaSerbian
- radioaktivt nedfallSwedish
- serpinti, radyasyonTurkish
- 放射性塵埃Chinese (Trad.)
- радіоактивні опадиUkrainian
- نیوکلائی دھماکے سے پیدا ہونے والے تابکار منتشر ذرات وغیرہ کا بکھراؤUrdu
- phóng xạ nguyên tử; bụi phóng xạVietnamese
- 放射性尘埃Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for fallout »
Find a translation for the fallout definition in other languages:
Select another language: