Definitions for eventɪˈvɛnt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word event
something that happens at a given place and time
a special set of circumstances
"in that event, the first possibility is excluded"; "it may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled"
a phenomenon located at a single point in space-time; the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory
consequence, effect, outcome, result, event, issue, upshot(noun)
a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon
"the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event"
An occurrence; something that happens.
An end result; an outcome (now chiefly in phrases).
A point in spacetime having three spatial coordinates and one temporal coordinate
A possible action that the user can perform that is monitored by an application or the operating system (event listener). When an event occurs an event handler is called which performs a specific task.
A set of some of the possible outcomes; a subset of the sample space.
Origin: From eventus, from evenio, from e, short form of ex, + venio; see venture, and compare advent, convent, invent, etc., convene, evene, etc.
that which comes, arrives, or happens; that which falls out; any incident, good or bad
an affair in hand; business; enterprise
the consequence of anything; the issue; conclusion; result; that in which an action, operation, or series of operations, terminates
to break forth
In philosophy, events are objects in time or instantiations of properties in objects. However, a definite definition has not been reached, as multiple theories exist concerning events.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'event' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #936
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'event' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2097
Rank popularity for the word 'event' in Nouns Frequency: #170
Translations for event
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- واقعة, حادثةArabic
- vaqiə, hadisəAzerbaijani
- ваҡиға, хәл, осраҡBashkir
- jev, událostCzech
- hændelse, begivenhedDanish
- acontecimiento, evento, sucesoSpanish
- seik, sündmusEstonian
- حادثه, پیشامد, رخداد, رویداد, واقعهPersian
- tapahtuma, tapausFinnish
- tuiteamasScottish Gaelic
- դեպք, պատահար, դիպվածArmenian
- atburður, atvikIcelandic
- evento, fatto, accadimentoItalian
- 出来事, イベントJapanese
- ព្រឹត្តិការណ៍, ហេតុការណ៍Khmer
- 행사, 行事, 이벤트Korean
- eventum, forsLatin
- atsitikimas, renginys, įvykis, atvejisLithuanian
- gadījums, notikumsLatvian
- pureitanga, takunetanga, taiopengaMāori
- збиднување, настанMacedonian
- gebeurtenis, evenementDutch
- hendelse, programpost, begivenhetNorwegian
- przypadek, zdarzenie, wydarzenie, imprezaPolish
- случай, событие, происшествиеRussian
- dešavanje, догађај, дешавање, zbivanje, događaj, збивањеSerbo-Croatian
- händelse, evenemangSwedish
- kisa, tukioSwahili
- olay, hadise, vakaTurkish
- sự việc, sự kiệnVietnamese
Get even more translations for event »
Find a translation for the event definition in other languages:
Select another language: