Definitions for evenˈi vən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word even
evening, eve, even, eventide(adj)
the latter part of the day (the period of decreasing daylight from late afternoon until nightfall)
"he enjoyed the evening light across the lake"
divisible by two
equal in degree or extent or amount; or equally matched or balanced
"even amounts of butter and sugar"; "on even terms"; "it was a fifty-fifty (or even) split"; "had a fifty-fifty (or even) chance"; "an even fight"
being level or straight or regular and without variation as e.g. in shape or texture; or being in the same plane or at the same height as something else (i.e. even with)
"an even application of varnish"; "an even floor"; "the road was not very even"; "the picture is even with the window"
"even features"; "regular features"; "a regular polygon"
occurring at fixed intervals
"a regular beat"; "the even rhythm of his breathing"
tied(p), even, level(p)(verb)
of the score in a contest
"the score is tied"
flush, level, even out, even(verb)
make level or straight
"level the ground"
even, even out(verb)
become even or more even
"even out the surface"
even, even out(adverb)
make even or more even
used as an intensive especially to indicate something unexpected
"even an idiot knows that"; "declined even to consider the idea"; "I don't have even a dollar!"
in spite of; notwithstanding
"even when he is sick, he works"; "even with his head start she caught up with him"
even, yet, still(adverb)
to a greater degree or extent; used with comparisons
"looked sick and felt even worse"; "an even (or still) more interesting problem"; "still another problem must be solved"; "a yet sadder tale"
to the full extent
"loyal even unto death"
To make flat and level.
We need to even this playing field; the west goal is too low.
exactly, just, fully
Flat and level.
Clear out those rocks. The surface must be even.
Without great variation.
Despite her fear, she spoke in an even voice.
Equal in proportion, quantity, size etc.
The distribution of food must be even.
Divisible by two.
Four, fourteen and forty are even numbers.
Convenient for rounding other numbers to; for example, ending in a zero.
On equal monetary terms; neither owing or being owed.
On equal terms of a moral sort; quits.
You biffed me back at the barn, and I biffed you hereuE000107911uE001so now we're even.
A Tungusic language spoken by the Evens in Siberia.
evening. See Eve, n. 1
level, smooth, or equal in surface; not rough; free from irregularities; hence uniform in rate of motion of action; as, even ground; an even speed; an even course of conduct
equable; not easily ruffed or disturbed; calm; uniformly self-possessed; as, an even temper
parallel; on a level; reaching the same limit
balanced; adjusted; fair; equitable; impartial; just to both side; owing nothing on either side; -- said of accounts, bargains, or persons indebted; as, our accounts are even; an even bargain
without an irregularity, flaw, or blemish; pure
associate; fellow; of the same condition
not odd; capable of division by two without a remainder; -- said of numbers; as, 4 and 10 are even numbers
to make even or level; to level; to lay smooth
to place in an equal state, as to obligation, or in a state in which nothing is due on either side; to balance, as accounts; to make quits
to set right; to complete
to act up to; to keep pace with
to be equal
in an equal or precisely similar manner; equally; precisely; just; likewise; as well
up to, or down to, an unusual measure or level; so much as; fully; quite
as might not be expected; -- serving to introduce what is unexpected or less expected
at the very time; in the very case
Origin: [OE. eve, even, efen, fen. AS. fen; akin to OS. band, OFries, vend, D. avond, OHG. band, Icel. aptan, Sw. afton, Dan. aften; of unknown origin. Cf. Eve, Evening.]
Even are an Australian indie rock three-piece fronted by singer/songwriter/guitarist Ashley Naylor, with Matthew Cotter on drums and Wally Kempton on bass and backing vocals. Even formed in Melbourne in 1994 and have played regularly around the live music scene since.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'even' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #110
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'even' in Written Corpus Frequency: #242
Rank popularity for the word 'even' in Adverbs Frequency: #18
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of even
Translations for even
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- vlak, gelyk, selfs, nog, aandAfrikaans
- حتى, بلArabic
- тигеҙ, йоп, хатта, теүәлBashkir
- плосък, равен, четен, еднообразен, гладък, даже, равно, еднакво, изравнявам, дори, вечерBulgarian
- pla, parell, igual, encara, fins i totCatalan, Valencian
- rovný, sudý, i, vůbec, ještě, večerCzech
- eben, gerade, noch, sogar, auch, selbstGerman
- ebena, egala, eĉEsperanto
- uniforme, par, parejo, constante, igual, llano, aun, tarde, allanar, hasta, inclusoSpanish
- هنوز, حتیPersian
- tasainen, parillinen, jopa, tasoittaa, vielä, edesFinnish
- uniforme, pair, paire, plat, régulier, monotone, exactement, même, complètement, niveler, aplatir, égaliser, voire, encoreFrench
- cunbhalach, cothromach, cothrom, eadhonScottish Gaelic
- até, incluso, nin, nin sequera, aíndaGalician
- חלק, שווה, זוגי, ערב, אפילוHebrew
- सम, और भीHindi
- egyenletes, egyenlő, páros, még, egyenget, kiegyenlít, még haHungarian
- հարթ, հավասար, զույգ, նույնիսկArmenian
- rata, bahkanIndonesian
- jafn, slétturIcelandic
- pari, sera, spianare, esattamente, completamente, ancheItalian
- 平, 偶数, にも, も, さえJapanese
- ლუწი, კიGeorgian
- vesper, etiamLatin
- geruedLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- pāra, patLatvian
- рамномерен, рамен, парен, мазен, баш, токму, дуриMacedonian
- genap, rataMalay
- til og med, enda, selv, sågarNorwegian
- even, gelijkmatige, paar, vlak, gelijke, gelijk, vlakke, gelijkmatig, avondstond, platmaken, evenen, nog, gelijkmaken, zelfsDutch
- enda, jamvel, endåtil, sjølv, til og medNorwegian Nynorsk
- ndiNavajo, Navaho
- jednolity, parzysty, gładki, równy, równomierny, płaski, jednostajny, nawet, poranek, wyrównać, jeszczePolish
- uniforme, quite, par, plano, constante, nivelado, padronizado, uniformizar, mesmo, nivelar, igualmente, ainda, completamente, até, nem sequer, exatamente, padronizar, igualarPortuguese
- pară, egal, par, plat, chiarRomanian
- однообразный, равномерный, одинаковый, гладкий, чётный, плоский, равный, ровный, даже, вечер, вообще, выравнивать, ровнять, точно, ещё, ровноRussian
- pȃran, па̑ранSerbo-Croatian
- sod, celóSlovene
- jämn, flat, plan, slät, stadig, platt, till och med, än, plana ut, kväll, ännu, jämna, platta till, ens, afton, jämna ut, än nu, ävenSwedish
- సరి, చదునైనTelugu
- çift, da, bile, dahiTurkish
- اور بھیUrdu
Get even more translations for even »
Find a translation for the even definition in other languages:
Select another language: