Definitions for esteemɪˈstim
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word esteem
esteem, regard, respect(noun)
the condition of being honored (esteemed or respected or well regarded)
"it is held in esteem"; "a man who has earned high regard"
a feeling of delighted approval and liking
respect, esteem, regard(verb)
an attitude of admiration or esteem
"she lost all respect for him"
respect, esteem, value, prize, prise(verb)
regard highly; think much of
"I respect his judgement"; "We prize his creativity"
think of, repute, regard as, look upon, look on, esteem, take to be(verb)
look on as or consider
"she looked on this affair as a joke"; "He thinks of himself as a brilliant musician"; "He is reputed to be intelligent"
To regard someone with respect
Esteem your elders, boy.
to regard something as valuable; to prize
to look upon something in a particular way
Mary is an esteemed member of the community
To judge; to estimate; to appraise
The Earth, which I esteem unable to reflect the rays of the Sun.
Origin: First at end of 16th century; from estimer, from aestimare; see estimate, and aim, an older word, partly a doublet of esteem.
to set a value on; to appreciate the worth of; to estimate; to value; to reckon
to set a high value on; to prize; to regard with reverence, respect, or friendship
to form an estimate; to have regard to the value; to consider
estimation; opinion of merit or value; hence, valuation; reckoning; price
high estimation or value; great regard; favorable opinion, founded on supposed worth
Images & Illustrations of esteem
Translations for esteem
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- почит, почитам, уважение, уважавамBulgarian
- ansehen, achten, Achtung, Wertschätzung, schätzenGerman
- τρέφω εκτίμηση, τρέφω σεβασμό, εκτιμώ, υπόληψη, εκτίμηση, σέβομαι, υπολήπτομαιGreek
- kunnioitus, arvostaa, kunnioittaaFinnish
- respect, estime, respecterFrench
- urram, onairScottish Gaelic
- achten, achting, waarderen, prijzenDutch
- estimar, estimaPortuguese
- stimă, apreciaRomanian
- уважение, уважать, почитать, почтение, почёт, чтить, ценитьRussian
- vörda, vördnad, aktningSwedish
Get even more translations for esteem »
Find a translation for the esteem definition in other languages:
Select another language: