Definitions for establishɪˈstæb lɪʃ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word establish
establish, set up, found, launch(verb)
set up or found
"She set up a literacy program"
establish, found, plant, constitute, institute(verb)
set up or lay the groundwork for
"establish a new department"
prove, demonstrate, establish, show, shew(verb)
establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment
"The experiment demonstrated the instability of the compound"; "The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture"
lay down, establish, make(verb)
institute, enact, or establish
"The trompe l'oeil-illusion establishes depth"
install, instal, set up, establish(verb)
"Her manager had set her up at the Ritz"
build or establish something abstract
"build a reputation"
establish, base, ground, found(verb)
use as a basis for; found on
"base a claim on some observation"
To make stable or firm; to confirm.
To form; to found; to institute; to set up in business.
To appoint, as officers, laws, regulations, etc.; to enact; to ordain.
To prove and cause to be accepted as true; to establish a fact; to demonstrate.
Origin: establissen, , stem of some of the conjugated forms of establir, (Modern établir), from stabilio, from stabilis.
to make stable or firm; to fix immovably or firmly; to set (a thing) in a place and make it stable there; to settle; to confirm
to appoint or constitute for permanence, as officers, laws, regulations, etc.; to enact; to ordain
to originate and secure the permanent existence of; to found; to institute; to create and regulate; -- said of a colony, a state, or other institutions
to secure public recognition in favor of; to prove and cause to be accepted as true; as, to establish a fact, usage, principle, opinion, doctrine, etc
to set up in business; to place advantageously in a fixed condition; -- used reflexively; as, he established himself in a place; the enemy established themselves in the citadel
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'establish' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1940
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'establish' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3622
Rank popularity for the word 'establish' in Verbs Frequency: #131
Translations for establish
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- затвърждавам, утвърждавам, основавам, установявамBulgarian
- establirCatalan, Valencian
- gründen, eröffnen, etablieren, festsetzen, feststellen, niederlassen, herstellen, festlegen, einsetzen, begründenGerman
- establecer, nombrarSpanish
- vahvistaa, nimittää, perustaa, osoittaa, vakiinnuttaaFinnish
- stèidhichScottish Gaelic
- հաստատել, նշանակել, հիմնադրել, հիմնավորելArmenian
- دامهزراندن, پێکهێنانKurdish
- parākiri, whakaūMāori
- oprichten, bevestigen, vaststellen, stichtenDutch
- fastslå, etablereNorwegian
- ustalić, ustanowić, wyznaczyć, założyćPolish
- estabelecer, firmar, fundar, nomearPortuguese
- основывать, установить, учредить, учреждать, основать, устанавливатьRussian
- etablera, grunda, motivera, grundlägaSwedish
- yerleştirmek, tespit etmek, saptamak, yapmakTurkish
Get even more translations for establish »
Find a translation for the establish definition in other languages:
Select another language: