Definitions for enoughɪˈnʌf
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word enough
an adequate quantity; a quantity that is large enough to achieve a purpose
"enough is as good as a feast"; "there is more than a sufficiency of lawyers in this country"
adequate, decent, enough(adverb)
sufficient for the purpose
"an adequate income"; "the food was adequate"; "a decent wage"; "enough food"; "food enough"
as much as necessary
"Have I eaten enough?"; (`plenty' is nonstandard) "I've had plenty, thanks"
I cannot run fast enough to catch up to them.
A sufficient or adequate number, amount, etc.
I have enough to keep me going.
stop! Don't do that anymore, etc.
Origin: From ynough, from genog, from ganōgaz (compare Scots eneuch, West Frisian genôch, Dutch genoeg, German genug, Swedish nog, Icelandish nógur), from *ǥanaxa 'to suffice' (compare Old English geneah), from h₂eh₂nó(n)ḱe 'he has reached, attained', perfective of *h₂neḱ- 'to reach' (compare Old Irish tánaic 'he arrived', Latin nancisci 'to get', Lithuanian nesti 'to carry', Albanian kënaq 'to please, statisfy', Ancient Greek ἐνεγκεῖν.).
satisfying desire; giving content; adequate to meet the want; sufficient; -- usually, and more elegantly, following the noun to which it belongs
in a degree or quantity that satisfies; to satisfaction; sufficiently
fully; quite; -- used to express slight augmentation of the positive degree, and sometimes equivalent to very; as, he is ready enough to embrace the offer
in a tolerable degree; -- used to express mere acceptableness or acquiescence, and implying a degree or quantity rather less than is desired; as, the song was well enough
a sufficiency; a quantity which satisfies desire, is adequate to the want, or is equal to the power or ability; as, he had enough to do take care of himself
an exclamation denoting sufficiency, being a shortened form of it is enough
Enough is a 2002 American drama-thriller film directed by Michael Apted. It stars Jennifer Lopez as Slim, an abused wife who learns to fight back. Enough garnered generally negative reviews from film critics, although several aspects of the film including the actor's performances were praised.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'enough' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #379
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'enough' in Written Corpus Frequency: #388
Rank popularity for the word 'enough' in Adverbs Frequency: #54
Translations for enough
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- كفى, كاف, مَه, تمام, بسArabic
- достатъчно, стигаBulgarian
- suficient, prou, prou!, suficientmentCatalan, Valencian
- dost, a dostCzech
- digon, gwalaWelsh
- genug, das genügt, haltGerman
- φτάνει, αρκετά, αρκετός, επαρκώςGreek
- sufiĉa, sufiĉeEsperanto
- bastante, basta, suficientementeSpanish
- بسه!, به اندازه کافی, بس است!Persian
- kylliksi, riittävästi, kyllin, tarpeeksi, riittävänFinnish
- suffisamment, assezFrench
- genôchWestern Frisian
- go leor, dóthainIrish
- gu leòrScottish Gaelic
- dy liooarManx
- מספיק, דיHebrew
- basta, abbastanzaItalian
- 充分, 十分, 足りる, 止めるJapanese
- بهس, تهواوKurdish
- gana, gana!Latvian
- доволно, доста, доста!, достатноMacedonian
- genoeg!, voldoende, genoegDutch
- det holder!, tilstrekkelig, nok, fyllestgjørendeNorwegian
- dosyć, wystarczająco, dośćPolish
- suficientemente, bastante, [[o]] [[suficiente]], chega!, suficiente, bastaPortuguese
- destul, ajunge, de ajuns, suficientRomanian
- хватать, баста, довольно, достаточноRussian
- довољно, достаSerbo-Croatian
- dovòlj, bástaSlovene
- nog, tillräckligtSwedish
- basi, basi!Swahili
- yeterli, yeter derecede, yeter!, yeteri kadar, yeterinceTurkish
- đủ, đủ rồiVietnamese
Get even more translations for enough »
Find a translation for the enough definition in other languages:
Select another language: