Definitions for editˈɛd ɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word edit
prepare for publication or presentation by correcting, revising, or adapting
"Edit a book on lexical semantics"; "she edited the letters of the politician so as to omit the most personal passages"
supervise the publication of
"The same family has been editing the influential newspaper for almost 100 years"
edit, cut, edit out(verb)
cut and assemble the components of
"edit film"; "cut recording tape"
edit, blue-pencil, delete(verb)
cut or eliminate
"she edited the juiciest scenes"
A change to the text of a document.
To change a text, or a document.
To be the editor of a publication.
He edits the Bee.
Origin: influenced by French éditer ‘edit, publish’.
to superintend the publication of; to revise and prepare for publication; to select, correct, arrange, etc., the matter of, for publication; as, to edit a newspaper
Origin: [F. diter, or L. editus, p. p. of edere to give out, put forth, publish; e out + dare to give. See Date a point of time.]
edIT is an electronic music producer and DJ based in Los Angeles, California. He is a member of The Glitch Mob.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'edit' in Verbs Frequency: #811
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
They asked the family to edit the video, and that was like editing Vanessa's life. It was demeaning.
As I edit, produce, set up and write the scripts for my documentaries, I have to learn a lot of things.
To a philosopher all news, as it is called, is gossip, an they who edit and read it are old women over their tea.
All good men are happy when they choose to be their own authors. Those who choose to have others edit their pathways, must live on the edge of another man's sword.
It's happening all around you, all in one go. It's all in one take, you can't edit it because everybody is always in a different position, it was a great experiment.
Images & Illustrations of edit
Translations for edit
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عدّل, تحرير, حرّرArabic
- редакция, редактирамBulgarian
- editieren, redigieren, bearbeiten, BearbeitungGerman
- modifo, modifi, adapto, adapti, ŝanĝo, ŝanĝiEsperanto
- parandus, toimetamaEstonian
- ویرایش, ویرایش کردنPersian
- editoida, muokata, muutos, muokkaus, muuttaaFinnish
- modification, éditer, corriger, rediger, modifier, correctionFrench
- עריכה, ערךHebrew
- संपादन करनाHindi
- elaborare, pubblicare, modifica, redigereItalian
- 編集する, 編集Japanese
- რედაქციის გაკეტება, რედაქტირებაGeorgian
- 편집, 編輯Korean
- correctio, corrigōLatin
- suntingan, menyunting, mengeditMalay
- aanpassing, wijzigen, bewerken, bewerking, wijzigingDutch
- łahgo áshłééhNavajo, Navaho
- edytować, edycja, redagowaćPolish
- editar, ediçãoPortuguese
- redactare, modificare, schimba, edita, modifica, corectareRomanian
- редактировать, редактирование, изменять, правка, редакцияRussian
- zmeniť, editovaťSlovak
- bearbeta, författare, redigera, journalist, ändraSwedish
- การแก้ไข, แก้ไขThai
- biên tập, 編輯Vietnamese
Get even more translations for edit »
Find a translation for the edit definition in other languages:
Select another language: