Definitions for eccentricityˌɛk sənˈtrɪs ɪ ti, ˌɛk sɛn-
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
ec•cen•tric•i•ty*ˌɛk sənˈtrɪs ɪ ti, ˌɛk sɛn-(n.)(pl.)-ties.
an oddity or peculiarity, as of conduct.
the quality of being eccentric.
the amount by which something is eccentric.
a mathematical constant expressed as the ratio of the distance from a point on a conic to a focus and the distance from the point to the directrix.
* Syn: eccentricity , peculiarity , quirk , idiosyncrasy all refer to some deviation in behavior, style, or manner from what is or expected. eccentricity usu. suggests a mildly amusing but harmless characteristic or style: a whimsical eccentricity of dress.peculiarity is the most general of these words, referring to almost any perceptible oddity or departure from any norm: a peculiarity of the language.quirk often refers to a minor, unimportant kind of oddity: Her one quirk was a habit of writing long, rambling letters. Sometimes quirk has overtones of strangeness: sexual quirks.idiosyncrasy refers to a variation in behavior or manner exclusive to or characteristic of a single individual: idiosyncrasies of style that irritated editors but often delighted readers.
Origin of eccentricity:
1545–55; < ML
strange and unconventional behavior
(geometry) a ratio describing the shape of a conic section; the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the major axis
"a circle is an ellipse with zero eccentricity"
a circularity that has a different center or deviates from a circular path
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
eccentricity(noun)ˌɛk sənˈtrɪs ɪ ti, ˌɛk sɛn-
the state of being eccentric, or sth that makes you eccentric
my grandfather's eccentricity; His love of shiny red objects was one of his eccentricities.
The quality of being eccentric; any eccentric behaviour.
The ratio, constant for any particular conic section, of the distance of a point from the focus to its distance from the directrix
the state of being eccentric; deviation from the customary line of conduct; oddity
the ratio of the distance between the center and the focus of an ellipse or hyperbola to its semi-transverse axis
the ratio of the distance of the center of the orbit of a heavenly body from the center of the body round which it revolves to the semi-transverse axis of the orbit
the distance of the center of figure of a body, as of an eccentric, from an axis about which it turns; the throw
Translations for eccentricity
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
oddness of behaviour or an example of this.
- شُذوذ، غَرابَةُ الأطْوارArabic
- excentricidadePortuguese (BR)
- die WunderlichkeitGerman
- خیره سری؛ غیرعادی بودنFarsi
- 정도를 벗어난 행위, 기행(奇行)Korean
- eksentrisitet, særhetNorwegian
- خیره سری؛ غیرعادی بودنPersian
- ګوښه ګيرى، بېلوالىPashto
- ความประหลาด; ความผิดปกติThai
- 古怪Chinese (Trad.)
- оригінальність, ексцентричністьUkrainian
- انوکھا برتاؤ یا سلوکUrdu
- tính lập dịVietnamese
- 古怪Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for eccentricity »
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"eccentricity." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2013. Web. 25 May 2013. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/eccentricity>.