Definitions for eccentricityˌɛk sənˈtrɪs ɪ ti, ˌɛk sɛn-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word eccentricity
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
ec•cen•tric•i•ty*ˌɛk sənˈtrɪs ɪ ti, ˌɛk sɛn-(n.)(pl.)-ties.
an oddity or peculiarity, as of conduct.
the quality of being eccentric.
the amount by which something is eccentric.
a mathematical constant expressed as the ratio of the distance from a point on a conic to a focus and the distance from the point to the directrix.
* Syn: eccentricity , peculiarity , quirk , idiosyncrasy all refer to some deviation in behavior, style, or manner from what is or expected. eccentricity usu. suggests a mildly amusing but harmless characteristic or style: a whimsical eccentricity of dress.peculiarity is the most general of these words, referring to almost any perceptible oddity or departure from any norm: a peculiarity of the language.quirk often refers to a minor, unimportant kind of oddity: Her one quirk was a habit of writing long, rambling letters. Sometimes quirk has overtones of strangeness: sexual quirks.idiosyncrasy refers to a variation in behavior or manner exclusive to or characteristic of a single individual: idiosyncrasies of style that irritated editors but often delighted readers.
Origin of eccentricity:
1545–55; < ML
strange and unconventional behavior
(geometry) a ratio describing the shape of a conic section; the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the major axis
"a circle is an ellipse with zero eccentricity"
a circularity that has a different center or deviates from a circular path
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
eccentricity(noun)ˌɛk sənˈtrɪs ɪ ti, ˌɛk sɛn-
the state of being eccentric, or sth that makes you eccentric
my grandfather's eccentricity; His love of shiny red objects was one of his eccentricities.
The quality of being eccentric; any eccentric behaviour.
The ratio, constant for any particular conic section, of the distance of a point from the focus to its distance from the directrix
the state of being eccentric; deviation from the customary line of conduct; oddity
the ratio of the distance between the center and the focus of an ellipse or hyperbola to its semi-transverse axis
the ratio of the distance of the center of the orbit of a heavenly body from the center of the body round which it revolves to the semi-transverse axis of the orbit
the distance of the center of figure of a body, as of an eccentric, from an axis about which it turns; the throw
In popular usage, eccentricity refers to unusual or odd behavior on the part of an individual. This behavior would typically be perceived as unusual or unnecessary, without being demonstrably maladaptive. Eccentricity is contrasted with "normal" behavior, the nearly universal means by which individuals in society solve given problems and pursue certain priorities in everyday life. People who consistently display benignly eccentric behavior are labeled as "eccentrics".
Translations for eccentricity
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
oddness of behaviour or an example of this.
- شُذوذ، غَرابَةُ الأطْوارArabic
- excentricidadePortuguese (BR)
- die WunderlichkeitGerman
- خیره سری؛ غیرعادی بودنFarsi
- 정도를 벗어난 행위, 기행(奇行)Korean
- eksentrisitet, særhetNorwegian
- خیره سری؛ غیرعادی بودنPersian
- ګوښه ګيرى، بېلوالىPashto
- ความประหลาด; ความผิดปกติThai
- 古怪Chinese (Trad.)
- оригінальність, ексцентричністьUkrainian
- انوکھا برتاؤ یا سلوکUrdu
- tính lập dịVietnamese
- 古怪Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for eccentricity »
Find a translation for the eccentricity definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these eccentricity definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"eccentricity." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2014. Web. 16 Sep. 2014. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/eccentricity>.