Definitions for earthlyˈɜrθ li
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
earth•ly*ˈɜrθ li(adj.)-li•er, -li•est.
of or pertaining to the earth, esp. as opposed to heaven; worldly.
possible or conceivable:
an invention of no earthly use to anyone.
* Syn: earthly , terrestrial , worldly , mundane refer to that which is concerned with the earth literally or figuratively. earthly now almost always implies a contrast to that which is heavenly: earthly pleasures; our earthly home.terrestrial applies to the earth as a planet or to land as opposed to water: the terrestrial globe; terrestrial areas.worldly is commonly used in the sense of being devoted to the vanities, cares, advantages, or gains of physical existence to the exclusion of spiritual interests or the afterlife: worldly success; worldly standards.mundane is a formal equivalent of worldly and suggests that which is bound to the earth, is not exalted, and therefore is commonplace: mundane pursuits.
Origin of earthly:
of or belonging to or characteristic of this earth as distinguished from heaven
"earthly beings"; "believed that our earthly life is all that matters"; "earthly love"; "our earthly home"
A slightest chance (of success etc.) or idea (about something).
in an earthy manner
Relating to the earth or this world, as opposed to heaven.
Origin: eorþlic, corresponding to .
pertaining to the earth; belonging to this world, or to man's existence on the earth; not heavenly or spiritual; carnal; worldly; as, earthly joys; earthly flowers; earthly praise
of all things on earth; possible; conceivable
made of earth; earthy
in the manner of the earth or its people; worldly
Translations for earthly
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
of or belonging to this world; not heavenly or spiritual
this earthly life.
- aards, wêreldsAfrikaans
- terrestrePortuguese (BR)
- jordisk; verdsligDanish
- γήινος, επίγειοςGreek
- دنیوی؛ خاکیFarsi
- zemes-; pasaulīgsLatvian
- دنیوی؛ خاکیPersian
- مځكنى، دمځكى (داسمانى ضد).Pashto
- lumesc, pământescRomanian
- jordisk, världsligSwedish
- สิ่งที่เป็นรูปธรรม และ อยู่บนโลกThai
- maddî, dünyevîTurkish
- 世俗的Chinese (Trad.)
- земний, суєтнийUkrainian
- trần thếVietnamese
- 人间的，地球的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for earthly »