Definitions for earlyˈɜr li
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word early
at or near the beginning of a period of time or course of events or before the usual or expected time
"early morning"; "an early warning"; "early diagnosis"; "an early death"; "took early retirement"; "an early spring"; "early varieties of peas and tomatoes mature before most standard varieties"
being or occurring at an early stage of development
"in an early stage"; "early forms of life"; "early man"; "an early computer"
early(a), former(a), other(a)(adj)
belonging to the distant past
"the early inhabitants of Europe"; "former generations"; "in other times"
"at an early age"
of an early stage in the development of a language or literature
"the Early Hebrew alphabetical script is that used mainly from the 11th to the 6th centuries B.C."; "Early Modern English is represented in documents printed from 1476 to 1700"
expected in the near future
"look for an early end to the negotiations"
early on, early(adverb)
during an early stage
"early on in her career"
early, ahead of time, too soon(adverb)
before the usual time or the time expected
"she graduated early"; "the house was completed ahead of time"
in good time
"he awoke betimes that morning"
A shift (scheduled work period) that takes place early in the day.
At a time before expected; sooner than usual.
We finished the project an hour sooner than scheduled, so we left early.
At a time in advance of the usual or expected event.
Arriving a time before expected; sooner than on-time.
Near the start or beginning.
Origin: From erly, erli, ærlice, from ær + adverbial suffix -lice. Cognate with Old Norse árla ( > Danish and Norwegian årle, Swedish arla)
soon; in good season; seasonably; betimes; as, come early
in advance of the usual or appointed time; in good season; prior in time; among or near the first; -- opposed to late; as, the early bird; an early spring; early fruit
coming in the first part of a period of time, or among the first of successive acts, events, etc
Early is a city located in Brown County in west-central Texas. The population was 2,762 at the 2010 census. It is named for Walter U. Early, who donated land for the schools. It is home to the Early Independent School District and the Heartland Mall.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'early' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #311
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'early' in Written Corpus Frequency: #794
Rank popularity for the word 'early' in Adverbs Frequency: #124
Rank popularity for the word 'early' in Adjectives Frequency: #18
Translations for early
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مُبَكِّرًا, باكرArabic
- рана, ранніBelarusian
- рано, ранен, преждевремененBulgarian
- aviat, d'horaCatalan, Valencian
- brzy, časný, raný, časněCzech
- plygeinwaith, yn fore, cynnarWelsh
- früh, verfrüht, frühzeitigGerman
- frua, frueEsperanto
- primero, temprano, prematuro, precozSpanish
- vara, varajaneEstonian
- varhainen, varhain, ajoissa, aikainen, aikaisin, ennenaikainen, [[hyväFinnish
- árla, snimmaFaroese
- de bonne heure, ancien, tôt, avanceFrench
- ierWestern Frisian
- luath, mochIrish
- tràthailScottish Gaelic
- शीघ्र, जल्दी, सवेरेHindi
- korán, koraiHungarian
- presto, iniziale, anticipato, precoce, anticipata, primo, anticipoItalian
- 初期, 早い, 早期Japanese
- ადრეული, ადრეGeorgian
- 이르다, 빨리, 빠르다, 일찍Korean
- praecox, matutinusLatin
- fréiLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ankstyvas, anksti, ankstusLithuanian
- agri, agrsLatvian
- ранен, раноMacedonian
- początkowy, wczesny, wcześniePolish
- cedo, inicial, adiantado, precocePortuguese
- devreme, timpuriuRomanian
- ранний, раноRussian
- rano, рани, rani, раноSerbo-Croatian
- včas, skoro, zavčasu, raný, čoskoro, včasnýSlovak
- zgódaj, zgodenSlovene
- i hershëmAlbanian
- tidig, tidigtSwedish
- แต่วัน, เนิ่น, เนิ่นๆThai
- irki, irTurkmen
- рано, завчасно, завчасний, раннійUkrainian
- ban đầu, sớm, đầu mùaVietnamese
- gölo, gölik, gölikoVolapük
- timpe, di boune eure, toitWalloon
- פֿרי, באלדיקYiddish
Get even more translations for early »
Find a translation for the early definition in other languages:
Select another language: