Definitions for dumplingˈdʌmp lɪŋ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word dumpling
small balls or strips of boiled or steamed dough
dessert made by baking fruit wrapped in pastry
A ball of dough that is cooked and may have a filling and/or additional ingredients in the dough.
A term of endearment.
My little dumpling.
Origin: perhaps an alteration of lump, possibly associated with -ling by popular etymology
a roundish mass of dough boiled in soup, or as a sort of pudding; often, a cover of paste inclosing an apple or other fruit, and boiled or baked; as, an apple dumpling
Origin: [Dimin. of dump an illshapen piece; cf. D. dompelen to plunge, dip, duck, Scot. to dump in to plunge into, and E. dump, v. t.]
Dumplings are cooked balls of dough. They are based on flour, potatoes or bread, and may include meat, fish, vegetables, or sweets. They may be cooked by boiling, steaming, simmering, frying, or baking. They may have a filling, or there may be other ingredients mixed into the dough. Dumplings may be sweet or savoury. They can be eaten by themselves, in soups or stews, with gravy, or in any other way. While some dumplings resemble solid water-boiled doughs, such as gnocchi, others such as wontons resemble meatballs with a thin dough covering.
Translations for dumpling
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- mandonguilla, nyoquiCatalan, Valencian
- Kloß, Klops, KnödelGerman
- ñoqui, albóndigaSpanish
- نوعی پودینگ که محتوی میوه پخته استPersian
- kokkare, myky, kultamussukkaFinnish
- quenelle, ravioli, chouFrench
- galuska, gombóc, nokedliHungarian
- ギョーザ, 餃子Japanese
- 펠메니, 만두, 교자Korean
- KniddelLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- kʼíneeshbízhiiNavajo, Navaho
- docinho, bolinhoPortuguese
- галушка, пышечка, пельмень, пышка, клёцкаRussian
- noklica, нокла, nokla, ноклица, knédl, кнедла, гомбоца, knédla, gomboca, кнедлSerbo-Croatian
- knedľa, haluškaSlovak
- knyte, klimp, dumpling, pirogSwedish
- клецька, пельмень, галушкаUkrainian
Get even more translations for dumpling »
Find a translation for the dumpling definition in other languages:
Select another language: