fraught with uncertainty or doubt
"they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go"
doubtful, dubious, dubitable, in question(p)(adj)
open to doubt or suspicion
"the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horney
"they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"
Arousing doubt; questionable; open to suspicion.
After he made some dubious claims about the company, fewer people trusted him.
In disbelief; wavering, uncertain, or hesitating in opinion; inclined to doubt; undecided.
She was dubious about my plan at first, but later I managed to persuade her to cooperate.
Origin: From dubius.
doubtful or not settled in opinion; being in doubt; wavering or fluctuating; undetermined
occasioning doubt; not clear, or obvious; equivocal; questionable; doubtful; as, a dubious answer
of uncertain event or issue; as, in dubious battle
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
dū′bi-us, adj. doubtful: undetermined: causing doubt: of uncertain event or issue.—adv. Dū′biously.—ns. Dū′biousness, Dubī′ety, Dubios′ity, doubtfulness. [L. dubius.]
The numerical value of dubious in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of dubious in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Images & Illustrations of dubious
Translations for dubious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مشكوك فيهArabic
- tvivlrådig, tvivlende, tvivlsom, usikkerDanish
- unsicher, ominös, dubios, fragwürdigGerman
- αμφίβολος, αναποφάσιστος, αβέβαιος, ύποπτος, αμφιλεγόμενοςGreek
- avieso, torvo, ambiguo, aleatorio, equívoco, turbio, dudosoSpanish
- kyseenalainen, epävarma, epäilevä, arveluttava, epäilyttävä, epäluuloinenFinnish
- aléatoire, douteux, torve, louche, ambigu, équivoqueFrench
- dubbio, torvo, equivoco, bieco, losco, ambiguoItalian
- usikker, tvilrådig, tvilsomNorwegian
- nieprzekonany, niepewnyPolish
- колеблющийся, сомневающийся, сомнительныйRussian
Get even more translations for dubious »
Find a translation for the dubious definition in other languages:
Select another language: