Definitions for dubiousˈdu bi əs, ˈdyu-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word dubious
fraught with uncertainty or doubt
"they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go"
doubtful, dubious, dubitable, in question(p)(adj)
open to doubt or suspicion
"the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horney
"they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"
Arousing doubt; questionable; open to suspicion.
After he made some dubious claims about the company, fewer people trusted him.
In disbelief; wavering, uncertain, or hesitating in opinion; inclined to doubt; undecided.
She was dubious about my plan at first, but later I managed to persuade her to cooperate.
Origin: From dubius.
doubtful or not settled in opinion; being in doubt; wavering or fluctuating; undetermined
occasioning doubt; not clear, or obvious; equivocal; questionable; doubtful; as, a dubious answer
of uncertain event or issue; as, in dubious battle
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It just amazes me that she's got the moxie, having never held office at all, to vie for the presidency on a business record that is dubious at best.
But just as delicate fare does not stop you from craving for saveloys, so tried and exquisite friendship does not take away your taste for something new and dubious.
I think that it is tempting always in hindsight to say Libya would be better somehow if we had not intervened, i think that is a highly dubious proposition. It is one where, had we not intervened, the conversation we would be having is thousands and thousands of people died and Libya looks like Syria.
Images & Illustrations of dubious
Translations for dubious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- tvivlrådig, tvivlende, tvivlsom, usikkerDanish
- unsicher, ominös, dubios, fragwürdigGerman
- αμφίβολος, αναποφάσιστος, αβέβαιος, ύποπτος, αμφιλεγόμενοςGreek
- avieso, torvo, ambiguo, aleatorio, equívoco, turbio, dudosoSpanish
- kyseenalainen, epävarma, epäilevä, arveluttava, epäilyttävä, epäluuloinenFinnish
- aléatoire, douteux, torve, louche, ambigu, équivoqueFrench
- dubbio, torvo, equivoco, bieco, losco, ambiguoItalian
- usikker, tvilrådig, tvilsomNorwegian
- nieprzekonany, niepewnyPolish
- колеблющийся, сомневающийся, сомнительныйRussian
Get even more translations for dubious »
Find a translation for the dubious definition in other languages:
Select another language: