Definitions for disdaindɪsˈdeɪn, dɪˈsteɪn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word disdain
contempt, disdain, scorn, despite(noun)
lack of respect accompanied by a feeling of intense dislike
"he was held in contempt"; "the despite in which outsiders were held is legendary"
condescension, disdain, patronage(verb)
a communication that indicates lack of respect by patronizing the recipient
contemn, despise, scorn, disdain(verb)
look down on with disdain
"He despises the people he has to work for"; "The professor scorns the students who don't catch on immediately"
reject, spurn, freeze off, scorn, pooh-pooh, disdain, turn down(verb)
reject with contempt
"She spurned his advances"
A feeling of contempt or scorn.
The cat viewed the cheap supermarket catfood with disdain and stalked away.
To regard (someone or something) with strong contempt.
To be indignant or offended.
Origin: From desdeignier (modern French dédaigner).
a feeling of contempt and aversion; the regarding anything as unworthy of or beneath one; scorn
that which is worthy to be disdained or regarded with contempt and aversion
the state of being despised; shame
to think unworthy; to deem unsuitable or unbecoming; as, to disdain to do a mean act
to reject as unworthy of one's self, or as not deserving one's notice; to look with scorn upon; to scorn, as base acts, character, etc
to be filled with scorn; to feel contemptuous anger; to be haughty
Images & Illustrations of disdain
Translations for disdain
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- презрение, презирам, пренебрежениеBulgarian
- despekt, pohrdání, opovrženíCzech
- foragt, despektDanish
- verschmähen, Missachtung, Geringschätzung, Verachtung, verachtenGerman
- despreciar, desdén, desdeñar, desprecioSpanish
- halveksunta, halveksua, väheksyntäFinnish
- dédain, mépris, mépriser, dédaignerFrench
- tàire, dìmeasScottish Gaelic
- քամահրել, գոռոզություն, արհամարհել, քամահրանք, արհամարհանքArmenian
- sdegno, spregiare, disprezzo, disdegno, sdegnare, sprezzareItalian
- 見くびる, 侮る, 侮蔑, 軽蔑, 蔑視Japanese
- ongenoegen, minachten, verachting, versmadenDutch
- foraktNorwegian Nynorsk
- forakt, forakteNorwegian
- pogarda, gardzićPolish
- desdém, desdenhar, desprezo, desprezarPortuguese
- desconsiderare, disprețRomanian
- презреть, презрение, пренебрежение, презиратьRussian
- prezir, prijezir, пријезир, презирSerbo-Croatian
- förakt, föraktaSwedish
Get even more translations for disdain »
Find a translation for the disdain definition in other languages:
Select another language: