Definitions for discordˈdɪs kɔrd; dɪsˈkɔrd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word discord
lack of agreement or harmony
disagreement among those expected to cooperate
a harsh mixture of sounds
strife resulting from a lack of agreement
disagree, disaccord, discord(verb)
be different from one another
Lack of concord, agreement or harmony among persons, groups, or things.
Tension or strife resulting from a lack of agreement; dissension.
An inharmonious combination of simultaneously sounded tones; a dissonance.
Any harsh noise, or confused mingling of sounds.
To disagree; to be at variance; to fail to agree or harmonize; clash.
want of concord or agreement; absence of unity or harmony in sentiment or action; variance leading to contention and strife; disagreement; -- applied to persons or to things, and to thoughts, feelings, or purposes
union of musical sounds which strikes the ear harshly or disagreeably, owing to the incommensurability of the vibrations which they produce; want of musical concord or harmony; a chord demanding resolution into a concord
to disagree; to be discordant; to jar; to clash; not to suit
Origin: [OE. discorden, descorden, from the French. See Discord, n.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
A guinea-hen, a peacock and a bluejay singing a trio.
Translations for discord
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- несъгласие, дисонанс, раздор, разногласиеBulgarian
- Kakophonie, Zwietracht, Dissonanz, Streit, Lärm, Uneinigkeit, MissklangGerman
- διαμάχη, έριδα, παραφωνία, διάσταση, δυσαρμονία, διχόνοιαGreek
- riitasointu, epäsopu, eripura, soraääniFinnish
- mì-chòrdadh, eas-aontaScottish Gaelic
- dissonanza, zizzania, discordia, dissensoItalian
- 不協和音, 不和, 不調和Japanese
- onenigheid, kakofonie, tweedracht, kabaalDutch
- диссонанс, несогласие, нелады, разлад, рознь, разногласие, раздорRussian
- dissonans, split, missämja, oenighetSwedish
Get even more translations for discord »
Find a translation for the discord definition in other languages:
Select another language: