spot, recognize, recognise, distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart(verb)
detect with the senses
"The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"; "I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
To detect with the senses, especially with the eyes.
To perceive, recognize, or comprehend with the mind; to descry.
To distinguish something as being different from something else; to differentiate.
To perceive differences.
Origin: From discernen, from discerner, from discernere, from dis- + cernere; see certain.
to see and identify by noting a difference or differences; to note the distinctive character of; to discriminate; to distinguish
to see by the eye or by the understanding; to perceive and recognize; as, to discern a difference
to see or understand the difference; to make distinction; as, to discern between good and evil, truth and falsehood
to make cognizance
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
diz-ėrn′, v.t. to distinguish clearly by the eye or understanding: to judge (sometimes with between).—n. Discern′er.—adj. Discern′ible.—adv. Discern′ibly.—p.adj. Discern′ing, discriminating, acute.—n. Discern′ment, power or faculty of discriminating: judgment: acuteness. [L. discern˘ere—dis, thoroughly, and cernĕre, to sift, perceive.]
The numerical value of discern in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of discern in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Images & Illustrations of discern
Translations for discern
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- различавам, съзирам, забелязвам, разпознавамBulgarian
- erkennen, wahrnehmenGerman
- discernir, vislumbrar, percibirSpanish
- huomata, havaita, erottaa, nähdäFinnish
- 인지하다, 식별하다Korean
- dostrzec, zauważać, rozróżnić, dostrzegać, rozróżniać, zauważyćPolish
- percepe, discerneRomanian
- распознава́ть, различи́ть, различа́ть, распозна́тьRussian
- rozoznať, uvedomiť si, rozlíšiť, spozorovať, odlíšiť, zbadať, postrehnúť, všimnúť si, pochopiťSlovak
- urskilja, se skillnad på, skiljaSwedish
Get even more translations for discern »
Find a translation for the discern definition in other languages:
Select another language: