Definitions for discerndɪˈsɜrn, -ˈzɜrn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word discern
spot, recognize, recognise, distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart(verb)
detect with the senses
"The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"; "I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
To detect with the senses, especially with the eyes.
To perceive, recognize, or comprehend with the mind; to descry.
To distinguish something as being different from something else; to differentiate.
To perceive differences.
Origin: From discernen, from discerner, from discernere, from dis- + cernere; see certain.
to see and identify by noting a difference or differences; to note the distinctive character of; to discriminate; to distinguish
to see by the eye or by the understanding; to perceive and recognize; as, to discern a difference
to see or understand the difference; to make distinction; as, to discern between good and evil, truth and falsehood
to make cognizance
Translations for discern
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- различавам, съзирам, забелязвам, разпознавамBulgarian
- erkennen, wahrnehmenGerman
- discernir, vislumbrar, percibirSpanish
- huomata, havaita, erottaa, nähdäFinnish
- 인지하다, 식별하다Korean
- dostrzec, zauważać, rozróżnić, dostrzegać, rozróżniać, zauważyćPolish
- percepe, discerneRomanian
- распознава́ть, различи́ть, различа́ть, распозна́тьRussian
- rozoznať, uvedomiť si, rozlíšiť, spozorovať, odlíšiť, zbadať, postrehnúť, všimnúť si, pochopiťSlovak
- urskilja, se skillnad på, skiljaSwedish
Get even more translations for discern »
Find a translation for the discern definition in other languages:
Select another language: