fraught with extreme danger; nearly hopeless
"a desperate illness"; "on all fronts the Allies were in a desperate situation due to lack of materiel"- G.C.Marshall; "a dire emergency"
awful, dire, direful, dread(a), dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible(adj)
causing fear or dread or terror
"the awful war"; "an awful risk"; "dire news"; "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"; "the dread presence of the headmaster"; "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"; "a dreadful storm"; "a fearful howling"; "horrendous explosions shook the city"; "a terrible curse"
Dreadful; dismal; horrible; terrible; lamentable.
Origin: From dirus.
ill-boding; portentous; as, dire omens
evil in great degree; dreadful; dismal; horrible; terrible; lamentable
Origin: [L. dirus; of uncertain origin.]
Dire is one of the woredas in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia. Miyu was separated from Dire woreda. Located in the southern part of the Borena Zone, Dire is bordered on the south by Kenya, on the west by Teltele, on the north by Yabelo, on the northeast by Arero, and on the east by Moyale. Towns in Dire include Mega and Dubuluk.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
dīr, adj. dreadful: calamitous in a high degree—(poet.) Dire′ful.—adv. Dire′fully.—n. Dire′fulness. [L. dirus; cf. Gr. deinos, frightful.]
The numerical value of dire in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of dire in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Nothing has more strength than dire necessity.
The attack on Sony shows the dire need to upgrade our cyber defenses.
The situation for civilians in Afghanistan is becoming increasingly dire.
In our dire need to comprehend the divine, we created it, named it, clothed it, inundated it with details so trivial and punished others who disagree with it.
People who are building are unaware that they're in dire jeopardy, right now, there's uncontrolled growth, in very vulnerable places, with houses sitting on river bluffs.
Images & Illustrations of dire
Translations for dire
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- страшен, ужасен, зловещBulgarian
- ildevarslende, skrækkelig, ondskabsfuldDanish
- händeringend, entsetzlich, böse, schrecklich, schlimm, düster, verzweifelt, fürchterlich, furchtbar, fatal, fürchterlich dringendGerman
- Maligno, de mal agüero, portentosoSpanish
- kauhea, kamala, pahaenteinen, hirveäFinnish
- extrême, terrible, funeste, sinistreFrench
- tremendo, tragico, terribile, catastroficoItalian
- vreselijk, onheilspellend, omineus, sinister, verschrikkelijk, gevaarlijkDutch
- illevarslende, skummel, ondskapsfull, skrekkeligNorwegian
- poważny, strasznyPolish
- terrível, horrível, adoentadoPortuguese
- жуткий, ужасный, страшный, зловещийRussian
Get even more translations for dire »
Find a translation for the dire definition in other languages:
Select another language: