Definitions for despairdɪˈspɛər
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
loss of hope; hopelessness.
a source of hopelessness:
to be the despair of one's teachers.
(v.i.)to lose, give up, or be without hope:
to despair of humanity.
(v.t.)Obs. to give up hope of.
* Syn: despair , desperation , despondency refer to a state of mind caused by circumstances that seem too much to cope with. despair suggests total loss of hope, usu. accompanied by apathy and low spirits: He sank into despair after the bankruptcy. desperation is a state in which loss of hope drives a person to struggle against circumstances, with utter disregard of consequences: In desperation, they knocked down the door. despondency is a state of deep gloom due to loss of hope and a sense of futility and resignation: despondency after a serious illness.
Origin of despair:
1275–1325; < OF despoir (n.), < L dēspērāre to be without hope =dē-de - +spērāre to hope, der. of spēs hope
a state in which all hope is lost or absent
"in the depths of despair"; "they were rescued from despair at the last minute"; "courage born of desperation"
the feeling that everything is wrong and nothing will turn out well
"they moaned in despair and dismay"; "one harsh word would send her into the depths of despair"
abandon hope; give up hope; lose heart
"Don't despair--help is on the way!"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
a feeling of great unhappiness and hopelessness
his despair at losing his wife; to be in despair over the political unrest
Loss of hope; utter hopelessness; complete despondency.
He turned around in despair, aware that he was not going to survive
That which is despaired of.
To give up as beyond hope or expectation; to despair of.
To cause to despair.
To be hopeless; to have no hope; to give up all hope or expectation.
to be hopeless; to have no hope; to give up all hope or expectation; -- often with of
to give up as beyond hope or expectation; to despair of
to cause to despair
loss of hope; utter hopelessness; complete despondency
that which is despaired of
Translations for despair
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the state of having given up hope
He was filled with despair at the news.
- wanhoop, radeloosheidAfrikaans
- desesperoPortuguese (BR)
- zoufalství, beznadějCzech
- die VerzweiflungGerman
- ناامیدی؛ سرخوردگیFarsi
- izmisums; bezcerībaLatvian
- fortvilelse, håpløshetNorwegian
- ناامیدی؛ سرخوردگیPersian
- förtvivlan, misströstanSwedish
- 絕望Chinese (Trad.)
- розпач, відчайUkrainian
- انتہائی مایوسیUrdu
- sự tuyệt vọngVietnamese
- 绝望Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for despair »