Definitions for delightdɪˈlaɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word delight
a feeling of extreme pleasure or satisfaction
"his delight to see her was obvious to all"
joy, delight, pleasure(verb)
something or someone that provides a source of happiness
"a joy to behold"; "the pleasure of his company"; "the new car is a delight"
give pleasure to or be pleasing to
"These colors please the senses"; "a pleasing sensation"
delight, enjoy, revel(verb)
take delight in
"he delights in his granddaughter"
enchant, enrapture, transport, enthrall, ravish, enthral, delight(verb)
To give pleasure to.
Origin: A wrong spelling, in imitation of words like light, might, etc.; the analogical modern spelling would be delite;, from deliten, from deleiter, deliter, from delectare, frequentative of delicere; see delicate.
a high degree of gratification of mind; a high- wrought state of pleasurable feeling; lively pleasure; extreme satisfaction; joy
that which gives great pleasure or delight
licentious pleasure; lust
to give delight to; to affect with great pleasure; to please highly; as, a beautiful landscape delights the eye; harmony delights the ear
to have or take great delight or pleasure; to be greatly pleased or rejoiced; -- followed by an infinitive, or by in
Delight is a town in Pike County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 279 at the 2010 census. It is the birthplace of country musician Glen Campbell, though the actual early home of the Country Music Hall of Fame inductee was in nearby Billstown, which Campbell describes as a "suburb" of Delight. Delight is also the home of former Arkansas State Auditor and Treasurer Gus Wingfield, and the father of actor and singer Scott Reeves.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'delight' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4820
Rank popularity for the word 'delight' in Nouns Frequency: #1752
Translations for delight
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- доставям удоволствие, удоволствие, насладаBulgarian
- delit, plaerCatalan, Valencian
- Entzückung, Freude, WohlgefallenGerman
- χαρά, ευφροσύνηGreek
- delectación, deleite, regocijar, placer, complacer, delicia, gozo, regocijoSpanish
- riemastuttaa, ilo, ilahduttaaFinnish
- enchanter, délice, se délecter de, plaisir, prendre plaisir à, ravir, joieFrench
- soganScottish Gaelic
- boldogság, örömHungarian
- deliziare, piacere, deliziaItalian
- 즐거움, 기쁨Korean
- behagen, bevallen, plezier, vreugdeDutch
- rozkosz, radować, cieszyć, przyjemność, radość, zachwycać, zachwytPolish
- encantar, deliciar, deleitePortuguese
- deliciu, juisare, desfătare, plăcereRomanian
- срећа, srećaSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for delight »
Find a translation for the delight definition in other languages:
Select another language: