Definitions for decreasedɪˈkris; ˈdi kris, dɪˈkris
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word decrease
decrease, lessening, drop-off(noun)
a change downward
"there was a decrease in his temperature as the fever subsided"; "there was a sharp drop-off in sales"
a process of becoming smaller or shorter
the amount by which something decreases
decrease, diminution, reduction, step-down(verb)
the act of decreasing or reducing something
decrease, diminish, lessen, fall(verb)
decrease in size, extent, or range
"The amount of homework decreased towards the end of the semester"; "The cabin pressure fell dramatically"; "her weight fell to under a hundred pounds"; "his voice fell to a whisper"
decrease, lessen, minify(verb)
"He decreased his staff"
An amount by which a quantity is decreased.
Of a quantity, to become smaller.
To make (a quantity) smaller.
Origin: From descreistre (French: décroître), from decrescere.
to grow less, -- opposed to increase; to be diminished gradually, in size, degree, number, duration, etc., or in strength, quality, or excellence; as, they days decrease in length from June to December
to cause to grow less; to diminish gradually; as, extravagance decreases one's means
a becoming less; gradual diminution; decay; as, a decrease of revenue or of strength
the wane of the moon
Origin: [OE. decrees, OF. decreis, fr. decreistre. See Decrease, v.]
A decrease in knitting is a reduction in the number of stitches, usually accomplished by suspending the stitch to be decreased from another existing stitch or by knitting it together with another stitch.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'decrease' in Verbs Frequency: #823
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
As one's gifts increase, his friends decrease.
Everybody shares the view that we need to make progress to decrease the cost.
It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.
We're moving into fall and winter periods, which should see activity decrease.
We wanted to increase the number of microbes and decrease the beauty products.
Images & Illustrations of decrease
Translations for decrease
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- намаляване, намаление, намалявам, намалявам сеBulgarian
- disminuir, decreixença, disminució, decréixerCatalan, Valencian
- verringern, Verringerung, abnehmenGerman
- μειώνω, ελαττώνω, μειώνομαι, λιγοστεύωGreek
- disminuir, disminuciónSpanish
- vähentää, lasku, laskea, vähenemäFinnish
- diminuer, réduireFrench
- פחת, הפחיתHebrew
- csökkenés, csökken, csökkentHungarian
- պակասել, փոքրանալArmenian
- diminuire, decrementare, calare, ribassare, far calare, ridurreItalian
- 減らす, 減少, 減るJapanese
- afnemen, verminderenDutch
- reduzir, redução, diminuir, diminuiçãoPortuguese
- descrește, scădeaRomanian
- понижаться, понижать, снижать, снизиться, уменьшение, понизить, снизить, снижение, уменьшать, уменьшиться, понизиться, уменьшить, уменьшаться, снижатьсяRussian
- minska, minskningSwedish
Get even more translations for decrease »
Find a translation for the decrease definition in other languages:
Select another language: