absence of light or illumination
darkness, dark, shadow(noun)
an unilluminated area
"he moved off into the darkness"
iniquity, wickedness, darkness, dark(noun)
absence of moral or spiritual values
"the powers of darkness"
an unenlightened state
"he was in the dark concerning their intentions"; "his lectures dispelled the darkness"
having a dark or somber color
darkness, duskiness, swarthiness(noun)
a swarthy complexion
The state of being dark; lack of light.
The product of being dark.
The state or quality of reflecting little light, of tending to a blackish or brownish color.
Evilness, lack of understanding or compassion, reference to death or suffering.
the absence of light; blackness; obscurity; gloom
a state of privacy; secrecy
a state of ignorance or error, especially on moral or religious subjects; hence, wickedness; impurity
want of clearness or perspicuity; obscurity; as, the darkness of a subject, or of a discussion
a state of distress or trouble
Darkness, as polar to brightness, is understood to be an absence of visible light. It is also the appearance of black in a colored space. Humans are unable to distinguish color when either light or darkness predominate. In the absence of light, perception is achromatic and ultimately, black. The emotional response to darkness has metaphorical connotations in many cultures.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
The absence of light.
Song lyrics by darkness -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by darkness on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'darkness' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2873
Rank popularity for the word 'darkness' in Nouns Frequency: #1271
The numerical value of darkness in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of darkness in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The darkness of the book is what makes the optimism credible.
We're living in darkness here, but miserable or not we're getting by and making the best of it.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate only love can do that.
I demand from the ministry and local authorities to stop lighting billboards, government buildings, central streets at a time when the whole country is in darkness.
Candle needs darkness to show his talents. Good shines only beside the bad; it will disappear when the bad disappears. Where there is no darkness, candle is forgotten.
Images & Illustrations of darkness
Translations for darkness
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- цемра, змрокBelarusian
- мрак, тъмнинаBulgarian
- tenebres, foscor, negrorCatalan, Valencian
- temnota, tmaCzech
- тьмаOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- Dunkelheit, FinsternisGerman
- σκοτάδι, ζόφος, έρεβοςGreek
- tenebro, mallumoEsperanto
- تاریکی, تیرگیPersian
- pimeys, synkkyysFinnish
- sombreur, noirceur, obscurité, ténèbresFrench
- tsjusternisWestern Frisian
- dorchadas, dubhar, dubhScottish Gaelic
- escuridade, negror, tebrasGalician
- अन्धेरा, अंधेराHindi
- խավար, մթությունArmenian
- myrkur, dimma, ljósleysa, niflIcelandic
- 闇, 暗黒Japanese
- 暗黑, 암흑, 어둠Korean
- obscuritas, tenebrae, caligo, tenebrisLatin
- Donkelheet, DäischtertLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ny maìzinaMalagasy
- schemering, donkerheid, duisternisDutch
- mørker, mørkeNorwegian Nynorsk
- chahałheełNavajo, Navaho
- ciemność, mrokPolish
- trevas, escuridão, escuroPortuguese
- negreală, întuneric, întristare, întunecime, tristețeRomanian
- тьма, темнота́, потёмки, мракRussian
- tamnoća, mračnost, mračnina, tama, тамаSerbo-Croatian
- temnota, tmaSlovak
- terr, errësirë, mugëtirëAlbanian
- mörker, mSwedish
- అంధకారము, చీకటిTelugu
- темрява, морок, тьма, темнотаUkrainian
- bóng tốiVietnamese
Get even more translations for darkness »
Find a translation for the darkness definition in other languages:
Select another language: