contempt, disdain, scorn, despite(noun)
lack of respect accompanied by a feeling of intense dislike
"he was held in contempt"; "the despite in which outsiders were held is legendary"
a manner that is generally disrespectful and contemptuous
open disrespect for a person or thing
a willful disobedience to or disrespect for the authority of a court or legislative body
The state of contemning; the feeling or attitude of regarding someone or something as inferior, base, or worthless; scorn, disdain.
The state of being despised or dishonored; disgrace.
Open disrespect or willful disobedience of the authority of a court of law or legislative body.
the act of contemning or despising; the feeling with which one regards that which is esteemed mean, vile, or worthless; disdain; scorn
the state of being despised; disgrace; shame
an act or expression denoting contempt
disobedience of the rules, orders, or process of a court of justice, or of rules or orders of a legislative body; disorderly, contemptuous, or insolent language or behavior in presence of a court, tending to disturb its proceedings, or impair the respect due to its authority
Contempt is a 1963 film directed by Jean-Luc Godard, based on the Italian novel Il disprezzo [A Ghost at Noon]. 1954. OCLC 360548. by Alberto Moravia. It stars Brigitte Bardot.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kon-tempt′, n. scorn: disgrace: (law) disregard of the rules or an offence against the dignity of a court (with of, for).—ns. Contemptibil′ity, Contempt′ibleness.—adj. Contempt′ible, despicable.—adv. Contempt′ibly.—adj. Contempt′uous, haughty, scornful.—adv. Contempt′uously.—n. Contempt′uousness. [See Contemn.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'contempt' in Nouns Frequency: #2573
The numerical value of contempt in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of contempt in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Images & Illustrations of contempt
Translations for contempt
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- احتقار, ازدراءArabic
- презрение, неуважение, пренебрежениеBulgarian
- opovržení, přezírání, pohrdání, despekt, poníženíCzech
- Mißachtung, Beamtenbeleidigung, Schande, Verachtung, BlamageGerman
- deshonra, vergüenza, desdén, desacato, desprecio, desgraciaSpanish
- kunniattomuus, ylenkatse, halveksintaFinnish
- outrage, méprisFrench
- fyrirlitning, óvirðingIcelandic
- 軽蔑, 侮辱, 侮蔑Japanese
- minachting, verachtingDutch
- lekceważenie, pogarda, obrazaPolish
- desdém, desprezo, desacato, contemptoPortuguese
- презрение, неуважение, позор, пренебрежение, бесчестиеRussian
- nadutost, prezir, prezrivost, nadmenostSerbo-Croatian
- avsmak, förakt, missaktning, misshag, missnöjeSwedish
Get even more translations for contempt »
Find a translation for the contempt definition in other languages:
Select another language: