Definitions for concernkənˈsɜrn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word concern
something that interests you because it is important or affects you
"the safety of the ship is the captain's concern"
concern, care, fear(noun)
an anxious feeling
"care had aged him"; "they hushed it up out of fear of public reaction"
a feeling of sympathy for someone or something
"She felt strong concern for those less fortunate"
concern, worry, headache, vexation(noun)
something or someone that causes anxiety; a source of unhappiness
"New York traffic is a constant concern"; "it's a major worry"
business, concern, business concern, business organization, business organisation(verb)
a commercial or industrial enterprise and the people who constitute it
"he bought his brother's business"; "a small mom-and-pop business"; "a racially integrated business concern"
refer, pertain, relate, concern, come to, bear on, touch, touch on, have-to doe with(verb)
be relevant to
"There were lots of questions referring to her talk"; "My remark pertained to your earlier comments"
concern, interest, occupy, worry(verb)
be on the mind of
"I worry about the second Germanic consonant shift"
That which affects one's welfare or happiness
The expression of solicitude, anxiety, or compassion toward a thing or person.
He placed his hand on his sister's sunburnt legs with great concern.
A business, firm or enterprise; a company.
The employees' attitude is really hurting the concern.
To be of importance to.
To make somebody worried.
Origin: From concernere, combined form of con- + cerno
to relate or belong to; to have reference to or connection with; to affect the interest of; to be of importance to
to engage by feeling or sentiment; to interest; as, a good prince concerns himself in the happiness of his subjects
to be of importance
that which relates or belongs to one; business; affair
that which affects the welfare or happiness; interest; moment
interest in, or care for, any person or thing; regard; solicitude; anxiety
persons connected in business; a firm and its business; as, a banking concern
Origin: [F. concerner, LL. concernere to regard, concern, fr. L. concernere to mix or mingle together, as in a sieve for separating; con- + cernere to separate, sift, distinguish by the senses, and especially by the eyes, to perceive, see. See Certain.]
Concern is a multi-millionaire American Thoroughbred racehorse. He was sired by top stallion Broad Brush, who in turn was a son of Ack Ack. His dam was Fara's Team. Concern was best known for his wins in the 1994 Breeders' Cup Classic and the grade two Arkansas Derby. Born at owner Robert Meyerhoff's Fitzhugh Farm in Phoenix, Maryland. To date, Concern is one of only three Maryland-bred horses ever to surpass the three million dollar mark in earnings. The other two were Cigar and Awad. He finished racing with a record of 7-7-11 in 30 starts and career earnings of $3,079,350.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'concern' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1044
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'concern' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1456
Rank popularity for the word 'concern' in Nouns Frequency: #366
Rank popularity for the word 'concern' in Verbs Frequency: #570
Images & Illustrations of concern
Translations for concern
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- грижа, обезпокоявам, засягам, загриженост, концерн, отнасям се до, интересBulgarian
- preocupació, preocupar, consternacióCatalan, Valencian
- znepokojovat, podnik, trápitCzech
- Betroffenheit, Besorgnis, Konzern, SorgeGerman
- preocupar, preocupación, referirse aSpanish
- asia, huolestuttaa, huoliFinnish
- inquiéter, inquiétude, toucher, concerner, soin, interesser, importance, préoccuperFrench
- bain do, bain leIrish
- suimScottish Gaelic
- דאגה, הדאיגHebrew
- impresa, preoccupare, interessare, turbare, concernere, inquietareItalian
- 心配事, 注意事項, 題目Japanese
- zich inlaten, onderneming, belang hechten aan, belangstelling, zorg, ongerust makenDutch
- uro, bekymring, angå, konsern, selskapNorwegian
- preocupação, preocupar, concernir, ter a ver comPortuguese
- preocupare, concern, frământare, îngrijora, preocupa, îngrijorare, întreprindereRomanian
- забота, волновать, концерн, беспокойство, занимать, беспокоить, касатьсяRussian
- shqetësim, shqetësojAlbanian
- oro, oroa, angå, bekymraSwedish
- şaşkınlık, özen, kaygı, endişe, cesaretsizlik, önyargıTurkish
- làm cho lo ngạiVietnamese
Get even more translations for concern »
Find a translation for the concern definition in other languages:
Select another language: