Definitions for ceremonyˈsɛr əˌmoʊ ni
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word ceremony
ceremony, ceremonial, ceremonial occasion, observance(noun)
a formal event performed on a special occasion
"a ceremony commemorating Pearl Harbor"
any activity that is performed in an especially solemn elaborate or formal way
"the ceremony of smelling the cork and tasting the wine"; "he makes a ceremony of addressing his golf ball"; "he disposed of it without ceremony"
the proper or conventional behavior on some solemn occasion
"an inaugural ceremony"
A ritual with religious significance.
An official gathering to celebrate, commemorate, or otherwise mark some event.
Formal socially-established behaviour often in relation to people of different ranks.
ar act or series of acts, often of a symbolical character, prescribed by law, custom, or authority, in the conduct of important matters, as in the performance of religious duties, the transaction of affairs of state, and the celebration of notable events; as, the ceremony of crowning a sovereign; the ceremonies observed in consecrating a church; marriage and baptismal ceremonies
behavior regulated by strict etiquette; a formal method of performing acts of civility; forms of civility prescribed by custom or authority
a ceremonial symbols; an emblem, as a crown, scepter, garland, etc
a sign or prodigy; a portent
Origin: [F. crmonie, L. caerimonia; perh. akin to E. create and from a root signifying to do or make.]
A ceremony is an event of ritual significance, performed on a special occasion. The word may be of Etruscan origin, via the Latin caerimonia.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'ceremony' in Nouns Frequency: #1724
Translations for ceremony
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رسميات, طقس مقدس, حفل رسمي, طقوس, حفل, مراسمArabic
- церемония, етикет, обрядBulgarian
- cerimòniaCatalan, Valencian
- τελετή, τελετουργικόGreek
- seremonia, tilaisuus, seremoniFinnish
- deas-ghnàthScottish Gaelic
- արարողություն, ծեսArmenian
- 儀礼, 儀式, セレモニー, 式典, 式, 典礼Japanese
- წესჩვეულება, ცერემონიაGeorgian
- 의식, 예식, 식전Korean
- ceremonie, plechtigheidDutch
- hatáálNavajo, Navaho
- обряд, церемония, ритуал, этикетRussian
- ceremònija, svèčanōst, òbredSerbo-Croatian
- ceremoni, högtidlighetSwedish
- ఉత్సవం, వేడుకTelugu
- พิธีกรรม, พิธี, พิธีการThai
- tören, merasim, ayin, seremoniTurkish
- nghi lễ, nghi thứcVietnamese
Get even more translations for ceremony »
Find a translation for the ceremony definition in other languages:
Select another language: