Definitions for casekeɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word case
case, instance, example(noun)
an occurrence of something
"it was a case of bad judgment"; "another instance occurred yesterday"; "but there is always the famous example of the Smiths"
a special set of circumstances
"in that event, the first possibility is excluded"; "it may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled"
lawsuit, suit, case, cause, causa(noun)
a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
"the family brought suit against the landlord"
the actual state of things
"that was not the case"
a portable container for carrying several objects
"the musicians left their instrument cases backstage"
a person requiring professional services
"a typical case was the suburban housewife described by a marriage counselor"
subject, case, guinea pig(noun)
a person who is subjected to experimental or other observational procedures; someone who is an object of investigation
"the subjects for this investigation were selected randomly"; "the cases that we studied were drawn from two different communities"
a problem requiring investigation
"Perry Mason solved the case of the missing heir"
a statement of facts and reasons used to support an argument
"he stated his case clearly"
the quantity contained in a case
case, grammatical case(noun)
nouns or pronouns or adjectives (often marked by inflection) related in some way to other words in a sentence
a specific state of mind that is temporary
"a case of the jitters"
character, eccentric, type, case(noun)
a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
"a real character"; "a strange character"; "a friendly eccentric"; "the capable type"; "a mental case"
font, fount, typeface, face, case(noun)
a specific size and style of type within a type family
an enveloping structure or covering enclosing an animal or plant organ or part
shell, case, casing(noun)
the housing or outer covering of something
"the clock has a walnut case"
the enclosing frame around a door or window opening
"the casings had rotted away and had to be replaced"
case, compositor's case, typesetter's case(noun)
(printing) the receptacle in which a compositor has his type, which is divided into compartments for the different letters, spaces, or numbers
"for English, a compositor will ordinarily have two such cases, the upper case containing the capitals and the lower case containing the small letters"
case, pillowcase, slip, pillow slip(noun)
bed linen consisting of a cover for a pillow
"the burglar carried his loot in a pillowcase"
case, display case, showcase, vitrine(verb)
a glass container used to store and display items in a shop or museum or home
look over, usually with the intention to rob
"They men cased the housed"
encase, incase, case(verb)
enclose in, or as if in, a case
"my feet were encased in mud"
a box, sheath, or covering; as, a case for holding goods; a case for spectacles; the case of a watch; the case (capsule) of a cartridge; a case (cover) for a book
a box and its contents; the quantity contained in a box; as, a case of goods; a case of instruments
a shallow tray divided into compartments or "boxes" for holding type
an inclosing frame; a casing; as, a door case; a window case
a small fissure which admits water to the workings
to cover or protect with, or as with, a case; to inclose
to strip the skin from; as, to case a box
chance; accident; hap; opportunity
that which befalls, comes, or happens; an event; an instance; a circumstance, or all the circumstances; condition; state of things; affair; as, a strange case; a case of injustice; the case of the Indian tribes
a patient under treatment; an instance of sickness or injury; as, ten cases of fever; also, the history of a disease or injury
the matters of fact or conditions involved in a suit, as distinguished from the questions of law; a suit or action at law; a cause
one of the forms, or the inflections or changes of form, of a noun, pronoun, or adjective, which indicate its relation to other words, and in the aggregate constitute its declension; the relation which a noun or pronoun sustains to some other word
to propose hypothetical cases
Case Woodard, stage name Case is a Grammy-nominated American R&B singer-songwriter.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. An intelligence operation in its entirety. 2. Record of the development of an intelligence operation, including personnel, modus operandi, and objectives.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'case' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #185
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'case' in Written Corpus Frequency: #385
Rank popularity for the word 'case' in Nouns Frequency: #15
Aces, aces, æsc, ASCE, ESCA
Translations for case
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حَالاَتٌ, دَعْوَى, علبة, عُلَبArabic
- осраҡ, ваҡиғаBashkir
- дело, процес, случай, опаковам, витрина, калъф, кожух, куфар, сандъкBulgarian
- maleta, cas, empaquetar, causa, caixa, capsa, vitrinaCatalan, Valencian
- případ, kauza, pouzdro, bedna, vitrinaCzech
- Fall, Kiste, Schriftkasten, ausbaldowern, Prozess, Rechtssache, einpacken, auskundschaften, Vitrine, Kasten, Hülle, Koffer, Behälter, GehäuseGerman
- περιστατικό, περίβλημα, υπόθεση, περίσταση, περίπτωση, κρούσμα, προθήκη, αποσκευές, θήκη, βιτρίνα, βαλίτσα, κιβώτιο, κάσα, πλαίσιοGreek
- empaquetar, carcasa, caso, causa, estudiar el terreno, maleta, caja, vitrinaSpanish
- مورد, کیسPersian
- tutkia, aakkoslaji, laukku, tapaus, pakkaus, case, sijamuodot, pakata, oikeustapaus, kuori, kotelo, matkalaukku, vitriiniFinnish
- cas, casse, cause, vitrine, écrin, malle, caisse, carterFrench
- cás, cásáilIrish
- מקרה, תיקHebrew
- kaHaitian Creole
- eset, ügy, láda, házHungarian
- դուրճ, դատական գործ, դեպք, պատյան, արկղ, ճամպրուկArmenian
- custodia, caso, vetrinetta, causa, cassa, cabinet, cassetta, involucro, baule, contenitore, intelaiatura, valigiaItalian
- ケース, 事件, 格, 箱, スーツケースJapanese
- 경우, 상자Korean
- casus, causaLatin
- tranga, zava-nitrangaMalagasy
- процес, ча́нта, судско дело, случај, ку́тија, са́ндак, витрина, ку́ферMacedonian
- kast, proces, geval, rechtszaak, uitstalraam, valies, kist, vitrine, tas, omhulselDutch
- wydarzenie, przypadek, skrzyniaPolish
- caso, causa, caixa, mostruário, mala, vitrine, maletaPortuguese
- cazuri, caz, ladăRomanian
- витрина, случай, я́щик, процесс, дело, упаковывать, судебное дело, кейс, набо́рная ка́сса, футля́р, кофр, ко́жух, коро́бка, диплома́т, чемода́нRussian
- slučaj, sanduk, случај, кућиште, кофер, kofer, gajba, сандук, kućišteSerbo-Croatian
- fall, box, kåpa, lår, hus, apparathölje, skal, vitrinskåp, hölje, monter, huv, resväska, lådaSwedish
Get even more translations for case »
Find a translation for the case definition in other languages:
Select another language: