Definitions for carpetbaggerˈkɑr pɪtˌbæg ər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word carpetbagger
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
car•pet•bag•gerˈkɑr pɪtˌbæg ər(n.)
a Northerner who went to the South after the Civil War to profit from the unsettled conditions.
Category: American History
any person, esp. a politician, who takes up residence in a place opportunistically.
Category: American History
Origin of carpetbagger:
an outsider who seeks power or success presumptuously
"after the Civil War the carpetbaggers from the north tried to take over the south"
An immigrant from the Northern to the Southern States after the American Civil War of 1861u20135, especially one who went South to gain political influence; hence, someone intervening in the politics of an area with which they are thought to have no real connection.
One who comes to a place or organisation with which they have no previous connection with the sole or primary aim of personal gain, especially political or financial gain.
an adventurer; -- a term of contempt for a Northern man seeking private gain or political advancement in the southern part of the United States after the Civil War (1865)
In United States history, carpetbagger was a pejorative term Southerners gave to Northerners who moved to the South during the Reconstruction era, between 1865 and 1877. The term referred to the observation that these newcomers tended to carry "carpet bags," a common form of luggage at the time. It was used as a derogatory term, suggesting opportunism and exploitation by the outsiders. Together with Republicans they are said to have politically manipulated and controlled former Confederate states for varying periods for their own financial and power gains. In sum, carpetbaggers were seen as insidious Northern outsiders with questionable objectives meddling in local politics, buying up plantations at fire-sale prices and taking advantage of Southerners. The term carpetbaggers was also used to describe the Republican political appointees who came South, arriving with their travel carpet bags. Southerners considered them ready to loot and plunder the defeated South. In modern usage in the U.S., the term is sometimes used derisively to refer to a politician who runs for public office in an area where he or she does not have deep community ties, or has lived only for a short time. In the United Kingdom, the term was adopted to refer informally to those who join a mutual organization, such as a building society, in order to force it to demutualize, that is, to convert into a joint stock company, solely for personal financial gain.
Translations for carpetbagger
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
politician who moves to a place where he/she sees an opportunity to promote his/her career.
- politieke indringerAfrikaans
- سِياسيٌّ مُتَنَقِّلٌ لِتَحْسينِ مَوْقِعِهِArabic
- политически кандидатBulgarian
- aventureiro políticoPortuguese (BR)
- volební kandidátCzech
- der Oportunist/inGerman
- lykkerider; opportunistDanish
- πολιτικός τυχοδιώκτηςGreek
- poliitiline seikleja, saamameesEstonian
- رجاله؛ فرصت طلبFarsi
- מְחָפֵש הִזְדָמנוּת לְרֵווָחHebrew
- अपने केरियर की खातिर दूसरी जगह चला जाने वाला राजनीतिज्ञHindi
- politički avanturistCroatian
- politikai kalandorHungarian
- politisi kutu loncatIndonesian
- (정치) 전입 후보자Korean
- politikas perėjūnasLithuanian
- (ārpus sava vēlēšanu apgabala dzīvojošs) deputāta kandidātsLatvian
- ahli politik jalananMalay
- verkiezingskandidaat van buiten het districtDutch
- lykkeridder; opportunistNorwegian
- kandydat na posła szukający poparcia w nieswoim okręgu wyborczymPolish
- رجاله؛ فرصت طلبPersian
- политический авантюристRussian
- volebný kandidát, agitátor z iného volebného obvoduSlovak
- politik, ki ni iz kraja, kjer agitiraSlovenian
- politisk lycksökareSwedish
- akbaba politikacıTurkish
- 外來政客Chinese (Trad.)
- політичний діяч, не зв'язаний походженням чи проживанням зі своєю виборчою округоюUkrainian
- ابن الوقت سیاست دانUrdu
- ứng cử viênVietnamese
- 外来政客Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for carpetbagger »
Find a translation for the carpetbagger definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these carpetbagger definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"carpetbagger." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2014. Web. 15 Mar. 2014. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/carpetbagger>.