Definitions for callousˈkæl əs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word callous
callous, indurate, pachydermatous(adj)
"a callous indifference to suffering"; "cold-blooded and indurate to public opinion"
calloused, callous, thickened(verb)
having calluses; having skin made tough and thick through wear
"calloused skin"; "with a workman's callous hands"
callous, cauterize, cauterise(verb)
make insensitive or callous; deaden feelings or morals
Emotionally hardened; unfeeling and indifferent to the suffering/feelings of others.
She was so callous that she could criticise a cancer patient for wearing a wig.
Origin: From callosus, from callum + -osus.
hardened in mind; insensible; unfeeling; unsusceptible
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Callous, adj. Gifted with great fortitude to bear the evils afflicting another.
I'm being proactive, and I want to accept responsibility for these stupid, callous remarks.
These were very cold, calculated killings, she was a woman who was remarkably, unbelievably, incredibly indifferent and callous.
Sweetness! World needs sweetness! It needs a sweet child, a sweet dolphin, a sweet monkey; it needs sweet people to soften the callous hearts!
The callous disregard for Luke's life is more proof of the depths of AQAP's depravity, and further reason why the world must never cease in seeking to defeat their evil ideology.
Translations for callous
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- мазолест, безсърдечен, безчувственBulgarian
- gefühllos, verhärtet, schwielig, abgestumpftGerman
- calloso, desconsiderado, insensible, cruelSpanish
- kylmä, tunteeton, känsäinen, sydämetönFinnish
- insensible, sans-coeur, endurciFrench
- keményszívű, kérges, érzéketlen, bőrkeményedésesHungarian
- harðlyndur, harðgeðja, tilfinningalaus, fólskulegur, harðbrjósta, kaldgeðjaIcelandic
- calloso, insensibile, cinicoItalian
- ueke, utongaMāori
- hard, ongevoelig, eeltig, afgestompt, bot, gevoelloos, harteloosDutch
- мозолистый, бесчувственный, чёрствый, бездушный, бессердечныйRussian
- žuljevit, kalozan, tvrd, bezosjećajan, nemilosrdanSerbo-Croatian
- hjärtlös, känslokall, känslolösSwedish
Get even more translations for callous »
Find a translation for the callous definition in other languages:
Select another language: