Definitions for bulwarkˈbʊl wərk, -wɔrk, ˈbʌl-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word bulwark
rampart, bulwark, wall(noun)
an embankment built around a space for defensive purposes
"they stormed the ramparts of the city"; "they blew the trumpet and the walls came tumbling down"
a fencelike structure around a deck (usually plural)
breakwater, groin, groyne, mole, bulwark, seawall, jetty(verb)
a protective structure of stone or concrete; extends from shore into the water to prevent a beach from washing away
defend with a bulwark
A defensive wall or rampart.
A defense or safeguard.
The planking or plating along the sides of a nautical vessel above her gunwale that reduces the likelihood of seas washing over the gunwales and people being washed overboard.
To fortify something with a wall or rampart.
To provide protection of defense for something.
Origin: cognate with German Bollwerk, Danish bolværk, Dutch bolwerk. The first part is akin to bole. Cognates include boulevard (from French boulevard, from Dutch), Spanish baluarte and Italian baluardo.
a rampart; a fortification; a bastion or outwork
that which secures against an enemy, or defends from attack; any means of defense or protection
the sides of a ship above the upper deck
to fortify with, or as with, a rampart or wall; to secure by fortification; to protect
Bulwark is a fictional mutant character in the Marvel Comics Universe who first appeared as an antagonist of Generation X in Generation X #11.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
bool′wark, n. a fortification or rampart: a breakwater or sea-wall: any means of defence or security.—v.t. to defend. [Cf. Ger. bollwerk.]
The numerical value of bulwark in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of bulwark in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The strongest bulwark of authority is uniformity the least divergence from it is the greatest crime.
The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
Lee was an unshakeable bulwark against majoritarian tendencies that could have easily overwhelmed Singapore, lee went to the extent of amending the republic's Constitution to stop any party from sweeping into power without minority support.
Images & Illustrations of bulwark
Translations for bulwark
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- фалшборд, бастион, вълнолом, опора, редут, защитаBulgarian
- val, hrazení, vlnolam, záštitaCzech
- Bollwerk, Mole, WellenbrecherGerman
- baluarte, amuradaSpanish
- سنگر, باروPersian
- suojaus, suojavalli, lisälaita, suojamuuri, aallonmurtajaFinnish
- jetée, rempart, bastingage, brise-lamesFrench
- doirlinn-fasgaidh, mùr, bàbhanScottish Gaelic
- bástya, védelem, hullámtörőHungarian
- պատվար, հողապատնեշ, պաշտպանություն, ծովապատնեշ, բաստիոնArmenian
- bolvirki, bolverkIcelandic
- impavesata, baluardoItalian
- ជញ្ជាំងការពារឆ្នេរសមុទ្រ, ការការពារ, កំពែងKhmer
- papatū, pākaiMāori
- schans, verschansing, bolwerk, golfbrekerDutch
- baluarte, quebra-mar, amuradaPortuguese
- защита, насыпь, волнолом, вал, оплот, бастион, редут, опора, фальшборт, волнорез, молRussian
- lukobran, razma, grudobran, branik, bastionSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for bulwark »
Find a translation for the bulwark definition in other languages:
Select another language: