boredom, ennui, tedium(noun)
the feeling of being bored by something tedious
The state of being bored.
An instance or period of a state of being bored; a variety of bored state.
the state of being bored, or pestered; a state of ennui
the realm of bores; bores, collectively
Boredom is an emotional state experienced when an individual is left without anything in particular to do, and not interested in their surroundings. The first recorded use of the word boredom is in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens, written in 1852, in which it appears six times, although the expression to be a bore had been used in the sense of "to be tiresome or dull" since 1768. The French term for boredom, ennui, is sometimes used in English as well.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The essential nature of monogamy. 2. A period or rest between I Did and I Will. 3. A state of divine revelation wherein for a single moment we are carried by the giant of Eternal Inutility to the abysms and summits of the perpetual Nix. (The word _boredom_ comes from Bore, a tired son of Noah. After the subsidence of the waters, Bore wandered about the earth, yawning and gaping and stretching, for at that time malaria oozed from many stagnant pools. Finally, absolutely exhausted, Bore, being afraid to be down on the damp and slimy soil, rested on the seventh day on his own bean, hence boredom.)
U.S. National Library of Medicine
A psychological state resulting from any activity that lacks motivation, or from enforced continuance in an uninteresting situation.
The numerical value of boredom in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of boredom in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Images & Illustrations of boredom
Translations for boredom
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- πλήξη, ανία, βαρεμάραGreek
- tylsyys, ikävystyminenFinnish
- noia, tedioItalian
- 갑갑증, 지루함Korean
- garlaicība, garlaiksLatvian
- aborrecimento, tédioPortuguese
- ความเบื่อหน่าย, ความเบื่อThai
- can sıkıntısıTurkish
- buồn chán, buồn tẻ, nỗiVietnamese
Get even more translations for boredom »
Find a translation for the boredom definition in other languages:
Select another language: