Definitions for belovedbɪˈlʌv ɪd, -ˈlʌvd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word beloved
beloved, dear, dearest, honey, love(adj)
a beloved person; used as terms of endearment
beloved, darling, dear(adj)
someone who is loved; something that is loved
greatly loved; dear to the heart
one greatly loved
Beloved is a novel by the American writer Toni Morrison. Set after the American Civil War, it is inspired by the story of an African-American slave, Margaret Garner, who temporarily escaped slavery during 1856 in Kentucky by fleeing to Ohio, a free state. A posse arrived to retrieve her and her children under the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which gave slave owners the right to pursue slaves across state borders. Margaret killed her two-year-old daughter rather than allow her to be recaptured. Beloved's main character, Sethe, kills her daughter and tries to kill her other three children when a posse arrives in Ohio to return them to Sweet Home, the plantation in Kentucky from which Sethe recently fled. A woman presumed to be her daughter, called Beloved, returns years later to haunt Sethe's home at 124 Bluestone Road, Cincinnati. The story opens with an introduction to the ghost: "124 was spiteful. Full of a baby's venom." The novel won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1988. It was adapted during 1998 into a movie of the same name starring Oprah Winfrey. During 2006 a New York Times survey of writers and literary critics ranked it as the best work of American fiction of the past 25 years.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
When I want to be beloved, I love someone.
This is God's dream for his beloved creation.
Life is an endless story of lover and beloved.
When we feel that we are beloved, we are happy.
Happiness is the interval between love and beloved.
Images & Illustrations of beloved
Translations for beloved
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حبيب, أحبّاء, محبوب, محبوبةArabic
- любим, обичан, любимаBulgarian
- estimat, estimadaCatalan, Valencian
- Liebling, geliebt, Liebchen, LiebeGerman
- αγαπημένος, αγαπητόςGreek
- amatino, amata, amatoEsperanto
- enamorado, amadoSpanish
- دلبر, معشوقه, عزیز, محبوب, یار, دلدار, معشوق, نگار, جانانPersian
- rakas, rakastettuFinnish
- chéri, bien-aimé, amant, amanteFrench
- rùnag, gràdhach, gràdh, leannan, gràdhaichte, rùn, rùinean, ionmhainnScottish Gaelic
- אהוב, אהובהHebrew
- 愛しい, 最愛, 彼氏, 彼, 恋人, 彼女, 親愛, 恋しいJapanese
- შეყვარებული, საყვარელიGeorgian
- نازدار, خۆشهویستKurdish
- cārus, dilectumLatin
- mylimas, mylimaLithuanian
- mīļots, mīļotaLatvian
- beminde, geliefd, geliefde, lief, welbemind, bemindDutch
- bił hinishnáaniiNavajo, Navaho
- ukochany, ukochanaPolish
- drag, iubită, iubit, dragăRomanian
- жела́нный, люби́мый, люби́мая, возлю́бленная, возлю́бленныйRussian
- yêu quý, yêu dấuVietnamese
Get even more translations for beloved »
Find a translation for the beloved definition in other languages:
Select another language: