buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass(adj)
the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
"he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
having the lower score or lagging position in a contest
"behind by two points"; "the 8th inning found the home team trailing"
in or to or toward the rear
"he followed behind"; "seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front"; "the final runners were far behind"
remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from
"when he died he left much unfinished work behind"; "left a large family behind"; "the children left their books behind"; "he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind"
"the clock is almost an hour slow"; "my watch is running behind"
in or into an inferior position
"fell behind in his studies"; "their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers"
behind, behindhand, in arrears(adverb)
"he fell behind with his mortgage payments"; "a month behind in the rent"; "a company that has been run behindhand for years"; "in arrears with their utility bills"
the rear, back-end
butt, the buttocks
A 1 point score.
1880: A roar from ten thousand throats go up,For we've kicked another behind. uE000125107uE001 "The Opening Ball" in Comic Australian Verse, ed. G. Lehmann, 1975. Quoted in G. A. Wilkes, A Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms, second edition, 1985, Sydney University Press, ISBN 0-424-00113-6.
an 1800s baseball term meaning the catcher
At the back part; in the rear.
Toward the back part or rear; backward; as, to look behind.
Not yet brought forward, produced, or exhibited to view; out of sight; remaining.
Backward in time or order of succession; past.
After the departure of another; as, to stay behind.
at the back of
to the back of
after, time- or motion-wise
in support of
The republicans are fully behind their candidate.
Origin: From behindan.
on the side opposite the front or nearest part; on the back side of; at the back of; on the other side of; as, behind a door; behind a hill
left after the departure of, whether this be by removing to a distance or by death
left a distance by, in progress of improvement Hence: Inferior to in dignity, rank, knowledge, or excellence, or in any achievement
at the back part; in the rear
toward the back part or rear; backward; as, to look behind
not yet brought forward, produced, or exhibited to view; out of sight; remaining
backward in time or order of succession; past
after the departure of another; as, to stay behind
the backside; the rump
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
be-hīnd′, prep. at the back of (place, or as support): remaining after or coming after (time, rank, order): inferior to, or not so far advanced as.—adv. at the back, in the rear: backward: past.—adj. or adv. Behind′hand, being behind: tardy, or in arrears of debt, &c.: clandestine. [A.S. behindan; Ger. hinten. See Hind.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'behind' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #451
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'behind' in Written Corpus Frequency: #684
Rank popularity for the word 'behind' in Adverbs Frequency: #227
The numerical value of behind in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of behind in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Images & Illustrations of behind
Translations for behind
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- وراء, خلف, وَراءArabic
- задница, зад, назад, задник, отзадBulgarian
- darrereCatalan, Valencian
- za, zpátky, vzaduCzech
- заOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- bagside, bagdel, bag, efter, bagefter, rumpe, bundDanish
- hinter, Hintern, hintenGerman
- πίσω απόGreek
- después, detrás, atrásSpanish
- taga, tagaosa, tagumik, taha, põhiEstonian
- takana, peräpää, perä, takapuoli, jäljessä, taakse, takaosa, takamus, peppu, pakara, jälkeensä, piilossa, takaosassa, jälkeen, jäljelle, löytymättä, myöhässäFinnish
- derrière, après, reversFrench
- efterWestern Frisian
- taobh thiar deIrish
- air cùl, air cùlaibhScottish Gaelic
- detrás de, tras, detrásGalician
- מֵאָחוֹר, מאחוריHebrew
- पीछा, के पीछे, पीछेHindi
- dèyèHaitian Creole
- mögé, mögött, hátul, végénHungarian
- dietro, dopoItalian
- پشت گرتن, پاش, پشتKurdish
- hönjer, achterLimburgish, Limburgan, Limburger
- pirms, aizLatvian
- sesudah, ke belakang, di belakangMalay
- achterwerk, achteraan, achter, achterste, na, achterkantDutch
- bak, bakpart, rompeNorwegian
- zad, z tyłu, za, tył, dupa, (być) za, poPolish
- traseira, por trás, traseiro, bunda, depois, atrás, apoiando, para trásPortuguese
- după, urmă, spate, spre spate, îndărăt, spre-napoi, în spate, în urmăRomanian
- задница, за, позади, за спиной, зад, после, сзади, тыл, вспять, назадRussian
- за, zaSerbo-Croatian
- za, dél, nazáj, zádnjica, zádnji, po, zadájSlovene
- prapa, pasAlbanian
- baksida, botten, akter, bakom, ända, bak, efter, baktillSwedish
- వెనక్కి, వెనకTelugu
- nasa likod, sa likodTagalog
- поза, заUkrainian
- کے پیچھے, پیچھا, پیچھےUrdu
- padrî, dirîWalloon
Get even more translations for behind »
Find a translation for the behind definition in other languages:
Select another language: