Definitions for barrenˈbær ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word barren
barren, waste, wasteland(adj)
an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation
"the barrens of central Africa"; "the trackless wastes of the desert"
bare, barren, bleak, desolate, stark(adj)
providing no shelter or sustenance
"bare rocky hills"; "barren lands"; "the bleak treeless regions of the high Andes"; "the desolate surface of the moon"; "a stark landscape"
not bearing offspring
"a barren woman"; "learned early in his marriage that he was sterile"
barren, destitute, devoid, free, innocent(adj)
completely wanting or lacking
"writing barren of insight"; "young recruits destitute of experience"; "innocent of literary merit"; "the sentence was devoid of meaning"
An area of low fertility and habitation, a desolate place.
The pine barrens are a site lonely enough to suit any hermit.
unable to bear children; sterile
I silently wept as my daughter's husband rejected her. What would she do now that she was no longer a maiden but also barren?
of poor fertility, infertile
incapable of producing offspring; producing no young; sterile; -- said of women and female animals
not producing vegetation, or useful vegetation; /rile
unproductive; fruitless; unprofitable; empty
mentally dull; stupid
a tract of barren land
elevated lands or plains on which grow small trees, but not timber; as, pine barrens; oak barrens. They are not necessarily sterile, and are often fertile
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Do not let yourself be tainted with a barren skepticism.
It is a barren kind of criticism which tells you what a thing is not.
Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
Wise sayings often fall on barren ground, but a kind word is never thrown away.
Wise sayings often fall on barren ground; but a kind word is never thrown away.
Images & Illustrations of barren
Translations for barren
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ялов, пустош, безплоден, неплодороденBulgarian
- karg, ausgetrocknet, Ödland, steril, unfruchtbar, dürr, kahl, trocken, ausgedörrt, Öde, Kargland, vertrocknetGerman
- estéril, infértilSpanish
- maho, steriili, hedelmätön, karuFinnish
- seasg, aimrid, fàsaichteScottish Gaelic
- meddő, terméketlenHungarian
- չբեր, անպտղաբեր, ամուլArmenian
- sterile, infertile, infruttiferoItalian
- hūnua, pukupā, pāhoahoa, wharepā, hahore, pākoko, akeake, rakeMāori
- onvruchtbaar, sterielDutch
- estéril, infértilPortuguese
- nefertil, sterilăRomanian
- бесплодный, пустошь, неплодородныйRussian
Get even more translations for barren »
Find a translation for the barren definition in other languages:
Select another language: