Definitions for balanceˈbæl əns
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word balance
a state of equilibrium
equality between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
proportion, proportionality, balance(noun)
harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design)
"in all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance"- John Ruskin
balance, equilibrium, equipoise, counterbalance(noun)
equality of distribution
remainder, balance, residual, residue, residuum, rest(noun)
something left after other parts have been taken away
"there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
the difference between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
(astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Libra
Libra, Libra the Balance, Balance, Libra the Scales(noun)
the seventh sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about September 23 to October 22
symmetry, symmetricalness, correspondence, balance(noun)
(mathematics) an attribute of a shape or relation; exact reflection of form on opposite sides of a dividing line or plane
counterweight, counterbalance, counterpoise, balance, equalizer, equaliser(noun)
a weight that balances another weight
balance wheel, balance(noun)
a wheel that regulates the rate of movement in a machine; especially a wheel oscillating against the hairspring of a timepiece to regulate its beat
a scale for weighing; depends on pull of gravity
balance, equilibrate, equilibrize, equilibrise(verb)
bring into balance or equilibrium
"She has to balance work and her domestic duties"; "balance the two weights"
compute credits and debits of an account
hold or carry in equilibrium
be in equilibrium
"He was balancing on one foot"
a state in which opposing forces harmonise; equilibrium
mental equilibrium; mental health; calmness, a state of remaining clear-headed and unperturbed
something of equal weight used to provide equilibrium (literally or figuratively); counterweight
a pair of scales
awareness of both viewpoints or matters; neutrality; rationality; objectivity
the overall result of conflicting forces, opinions etc.; the influence which ultimately "weighs" more than others
apparent harmony in art (between differing colours, sounds, etc.)
a list accounting for the debits on one side, and for the credits on the other.
the result of such a procedure; the difference between credit and debit of an account.
I just need to nip to a bank and check my balance.
to make (items) weigh up.
(figurative) to make (concepts) agree.
to hold (an object or objects) precariously.
to make the credits and debits of (an account) correspond.
to be in equilibrium.
to have matching credits and debits.
a device used to regulate the speed of a watch, clock etc.
Origin: From balance, from *, from (accusative form of) bilanx, from bi- + lanx.
an apparatus for weighing
act of weighing mentally; comparison; estimate
equipoise between the weights in opposite scales
the state of being in equipoise; equilibrium; even adjustment; steadiness
an equality between the sums total of the two sides of an account; as, to bring one's accounts to a balance; -- also, the excess on either side; as, the balance of an account
a balance wheel, as of a watch, or clock. See Balance wheel (in the Vocabulary)
the constellation Libra
the seventh sign in the Zodiac, called Libra, which the sun enters at the equinox in September
a movement in dancing. See Balance, v. i., S
to bring to an equipoise, as the scales of a balance by adjusting the weights; to weigh in a balance
to support on a narrow base, so as to keep from falling; as, to balance a plate on the end of a cane; to balance one's self on a tight rope
to equal in number, weight, force, or proportion; to counterpoise, counterbalance, counteract, or neutralize
to compare in relative force, importance, value, etc.; to estimate
to settle and adjust, as an account; to make two accounts equal by paying the difference between them
to make the sums of the debits and credits of an account equal; -- said of an item; as, this payment, or credit, balances the account
to arrange accounts in such a way that the sum total of the debits is equal to the sum total of the credits; as, to balance a set of books
to move toward, and then back from, reciprocally; as, to balance partners
to contract, as a sail, into a narrower compass; as, to balance the boom mainsail
to have equal weight on each side; to be in equipoise; as, the scales balance
to fluctuate between motives which appear of equal force; to waver; to hesitate
to move toward a person or couple, and then back
Balance is the tenth studio album by American hard rock band Van Halen. Released in 1995, it is the final of four albums to feature Sammy Hagar as the band's lead vocalist. During the recording of Balance and its subsequent Ambulance Tour, Van Halen's second incarnation broke up. Regarding this time period, in 1997, Eddie Van Halen told Guitar World Magazine "There had been a variety of conflicts brewing between Sammy and the band since I quit drinking on October 2, 1994... It got so bad that I actually started drinking again."
The Standard Electrical Dictionary
(a) Wheatstone's Bridge, q. v., is sometimes termed the Electric Balance. (b) A suspension or torsion balance is one which includes a filament or pair of filaments to whose lower end or ends are attached a horizontal indicator often called a needle, or a magnetic needle. (See Torsion Balance.) (c) See Induction Balance, Hughes'. (d) For Thermic Balance, see Bolometer. (e) See Balance, Ampere.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
Something wanted by book-keepers and often lost by topers. May be found in a cash-book or the kangaroo gait.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'balance' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1273
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'balance' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1722
Rank popularity for the word 'balance' in Nouns Frequency: #559
Rank popularity for the word 'balance' in Verbs Frequency: #663
Images & Illustrations of balance
Translations for balance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رصيد, ميزان, توازنArabic
- теглилка, везна, баланс, равновесие, балансираност, уравновесявам, уравновесен съм, балансирам, балансиран съм, правя балансBulgarian
- balanç, equilibri, balança, compensar, equilibrarCatalan, Valencian
- Waage, Ausgewogenheit, Balance, Bilanz, Gleichgewicht, Saldo, balancieren, wiegen, im Gleichgewicht halten, ausgleichen, bilanzierenGerman
- ισοζύγιο, ζυγαριά, ισορροπία, αντισταθμίζω, ισορροπώ, ζυγίζω, ισοσκελίζωGreek
- equilibrio, balanza, balance, [[hacer]] [[balance]], balancearSpanish
- میزان, بالانس, ترازوPersian
- varsivaaka, tasapaino, vaaka, saldo, olla tasapainossaFinnish
- balance, équilibre, solde, apurerFrench
- co-chothromScottish Gaelic
- balanza, equilibrio, balanceGalician
- מאזניים, איזון, מאזן, שיווי משקלHebrew
- तराज़ू, तुलाHindi
- հավասարակշռություն, բալանս, կշեռքArmenian
- bilanco, balanco, equilibroIdo
- bilancia, bilancio, neutralità, equilibrio, pareggiare, equivalere, pesare, tenere in equilibrio, bilanciare, conguagliareItalian
- 秤, バランス, 中立, 均衡, 平衡, 天秤, 釣り合いJapanese
- terazî, yeksengî, hevsengî, denge, terazû, balansKurdish
- баланстоо, сальдо, тараза, теңдештик, таразалоо, тең салмак, теңдеш, балансташкан, тең салмактык, калдык, баланс, тең салмактоо, кайырмаKyrgyz
- WoLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- кантар, врамнотеженост, рамнотежа, биланс, терезија, салдо, вага, измируваMacedonian
- neraca, teraju, dacing, mizanMalay
- balans, evenwicht, weegschaalDutch
- vekt, balanse, balansereNorwegian
- waga, równowaga, saldoPolish
- balança, balanço, equilíbrio, equilibrar, pesar, balancearPortuguese
- balanță, balans, cumpăt, echilibru, bilanțRomanian
- баланс, весы, сбалансированность, равновесие, взвешенность, уравновешенность, сальдо, уравновешивать, уравновеситьRussian
- vága, равноте́жа, кантар, kantar, теразије, terazije, ravnotéža, ва́га, balansirati, балансиратиSerbo-Croatian
- ravnovesje, ravnotežjeSlovene
- peshore, ekuilibër, balancë, bilancAlbanian
- balans, avvägning, balansräkning, balansvåg, våg, jämvikt, vågskål, jämviktsläge, balansera, stå och väga, vara i jämvikt, jämna ut sigSwedish
- సమతుల్యత, త్రాసు, కాటాTelugu
- denge, kantar, teraziTurkish
- ترازو, تلا, میزانUrdu
Get even more translations for balance »
Find a translation for the balance definition in other languages:
Select another language: