anchor, mainstay, keystone, backbone, linchpin, lynchpin(noun)
a central cohesive source of support and stability
"faith is his anchor"; "the keystone of campaign reform was the ban on soft money"; "he is the linchpin of this firm"
backbone, grit, guts, moxie, sand, gumption(noun)
fortitude and determination
"he didn't have the guts to try it"
spinal column, vertebral column, spine, backbone, back, rachis(noun)
the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord
"the fall broke his back"
the part of a book's cover that encloses the inner side of the book's pages and that faces outward when the book is shelved
"the title and author were printed on the spine of the book"
the part of a network that connects other networks together
"the backbone is the part of a communication network that carries the heaviest traffic"
The series of vertebrae, separated by disks, that encloses and protects the spinal cord, and runs down the middle of the back in vertebrate animals.
any fundamental support, structure, or infrastructure
Before automobiles, railroads were a backbone of commerce.
courage, fortitude, or strength
He would make a good manager, if he had a little more backbone.
the column of bones in the back which sustains and gives firmness to the frame; the spine; the vertebral or spinal column
anything like , or serving the purpose of, a backbone
firmness; moral principle; steadfastness
Backbone is the second album by jazz saxophonist Boney James, released in 1993.
Song lyrics by backbone -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by backbone on the Lyrics.com website.
The numerical value of backbone in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of backbone in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The backbone of surprise is fusing speed with secrecy.
Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be.
Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
The leadership instinct you are born with is the backbone. You develop the funny bone and the wishbone that go with it.
Each of us should do something every day That we do not want to do But we know we should do, To strengthen our backbone And put iron in our soul.
Images & Illustrations of backbone
Translations for backbone
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- دعامة, عمود فقريArabic
- гръбнак, опора, основаBulgarian
- espinada, columna vertebral, espina dorsalCatalan, Valencian
- fundament, basis, rygradDanish
- Rückgrat, WirbelsäuleGerman
- columna vertebral, espina dorsalSpanish
- épine dorsale, rachis, colonne vertébraleFrench
- cnàimh an droma, cùl, bun-structarScottish Gaelic
- gerincoszlop, hátgerinc, gerincHungarian
- ողնաշար, հիմքArmenian
- tulang punggungIndonesian
- hryggur, bein í nefinu, meginstoð, uppistaða, skapfestaIcelandic
- spina dorsaleItalian
- 背骨, 脊柱, 脊椎Japanese
- iwituaroa, iwituararoMāori
- потпора, ’рбет, кичмаMacedonian
- tulang belakangMalay
- íígháánNavajo, Navaho
- charakter, kręgosłup, trzonPolish
- espinha, firmeza, coluna vertebral, espinha dorsal, basePortuguese
- coloană vertebrală, șira spinăriiRomanian
- стержень, позвоночник, основа, хребет, костякRussian
- kralježnica, кичма, kičma, хрптењача, краљеҗница, hrptenjačaSerbo-Croatian
- ryggrad, grundstommeSwedish
- xương sốngVietnamese
Get even more translations for backbone »
Find a translation for the backbone definition in other languages:
Select another language: