Definitions for assignəˈsaɪn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word assign
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
to give or allocate:
to assign rooms at a hotel.
to give out or announce as a task:
to assign homework.
to appoint, as to a post or duty.
to designate; name; specify:
to assign a day for a meeting.
to bring forward; ascribe; attribute:
to assign a cause.
Law. to transfer (property, esp. in trust).
(v.i.)Law. to transfer property, esp. in trust or for the benefit of creditors.
(n.)Often, assigns.Law. a person to whom another's property is transferred; assignee.
* Syn: assign , allocate , allot mean to apportion or measure out. To assign is to distribute available things, designating them to be given to or reserved for specific persons or purposes: to assign duties. To allocate is to earmark or set aside parts of things available or expected in the future, each for a specific purpose: to allocate income to various expenses. To allot implies making restrictions as to amount, size, etc., and then apportioning or assigning: to allot spaces for parking.
Origin of assign:
1250–1300; ME < OF assigner < L assignāre. See as -, sign
as•sign′erə saɪˈnɔr, ˌæs əˈnɔr(n.)
as•sign•orə saɪˈnɔr, ˌæs əˈnɔr(n.)
delegate, designate, depute, assign(verb)
give an assignment to (a person) to a post, or assign a task to (a person)
assign, allot, portion(verb)
"We were assigned new uniforms"
impute, ascribe, assign, attribute(verb)
attribute or credit to
"We attributed this quotation to Shakespeare"; "People impute great cleverness to cats"
assign, specify, set apart(verb)
select something or someone for a specific purpose
"The teacher assigned him to lead his classmates in the exercise"
attribute or give
"She put too much emphasis on her the last statement"; "He put all his efforts into this job"; "The teacher put an interesting twist to the interpretation of the story"
make undue claims to having
transfer one's right to
decide as to where something belongs in a scheme
"The biologist assigned the mushroom to the proper class"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
to give a job or a duty
She has been assigned to the role of group leader.
to set aside for a particular purpose
to assign $10,000 to the project
To designate or set apart something for some purpose.
To appoint or select someone for some office.
To allot or give something as a task.
To attribute or sort something into categories.
To transfer property, a legal right, etc., from one person to another.
to appoint; to allot; to apportion; to make over
to fix, specify, select, or designate; to point out authoritatively or exactly; as, to assign a limit; to assign counsel for a prisoner; to assign a day for trial
to transfer, or make over to another, esp. to transfer to, and vest in, certain persons, called assignees, for the benefit of creditors
a thing pertaining or belonging to something else; an appurtenance
a person to whom property or an interest is transferred; as, a deed to a man and his heirs and assigns
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. To place units or personnel in an organization where such placement is relatively permanent, and/or where such organization controls and administers the units or personnel for the primary function, or greater portion of the functions, of the unit or personnel. 2. To detail individuals to specific duties or functions where such duties or functions are primary and/or relatively permanent. See also attach.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'assign' in Verbs Frequency: #770
Translations for assign
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to give to someone as his share or duty
They assigned the task to us.
- يُخَصِّص، يُعَيِّنArabic
- distribuirPortuguese (BR)
- uložit, přiřaditCzech
- tildele; pålægge; anviseDanish
- asignar, atribuirSpanish
- määrama, ülesandeks tegemaEstonian
- مقرر داشتن؛ محول کردنFarsi
- antaa tehtäväksiFinnish
- assigner (à)French
- निश्चित करनाHindi
- memberi tugasMalay
- tildele, sette av, giNorwegian
- مقرر داشتن؛ محول کردنPersian
- dati zadatakSerbian
- tilldela, anvisaSwedish
- ayırmak, tahsis etmekTurkish
- 分配Chinese (Trad.)
- تفویض کرناUrdu
- phân côngVietnamese
- 分配Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for assign »
Find a translation for the assign definition in other languages:
Select another language: