determine, find, find out, ascertain(verb)
establish after a calculation, investigation, experiment, survey, or study
"find the product of two numbers"; "The physicist who found the elusive particle won the Nobel Prize"
see, check, insure, see to it, ensure, control, ascertain, assure(verb)
be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something
"He verified that the valves were closed"; "See that the curtains are closed"; "control the quality of the product"
determine, check, find out, see, ascertain, watch, learn(verb)
find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort
"I want to see whether she speaks French"; "See whether it works"; "find out if he speaks Russian"; "Check whether the train leaves on time"
learn or discover with certainty
To find out definitely; to discover or establish.
As soon as we ascertain what the situation is, we can plan how to proceed.
Origin: From acertener, from (a- + certener, from the adjective certain.
to render (a person) certain; to cause to feel certain; to make confident; to assure; to apprise
to make (a thing) certain to the mind; to free from obscurity, doubt, or change; to make sure of; to fix; to determine
to find out or learn for a certainty, by trial, examination, or experiment; to get to know; as, to ascertain the weight of a commodity, or the purity of a metal
Origin: [OF. acertener; a (L. ad) + certain. See Certain.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
as-sėr-tān′, v.t. to determine: to obtain certain knowledge of: (rare) to insure, certify, make certain.—adj. Ascertain′able.—n. Ascertain′ment. [O. Fr. acertener. See Certain.]
Cartesian, cartesian, craniates, intracase, sectarian
The numerical value of ascertain in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of ascertain in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Images & Illustrations of ascertain
Translations for ascertain
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- убеждавам се, установявамBulgarian
- trobar, encertarCatalan, Valencian
- establecer, averiguar, determinarSpanish
- varmistaa, selvittää, saada selvilleFinnish
- constater, définirFrench
- պարզել, հաստատել, հավաստիանալ, համոզվելArmenian
- komast eftir, ganga úr skugga um, komast að, fá fullvissu umIcelandic
- appurare, stabilire, accertare, constatare, riscontrareItalian
- утврдува, востановува, установуваMacedonian
- constateren, vaststellenDutch
- descobrir, encontrarPortuguese
- удостовериться, устанавливать, установить, удостоверяться, убеждаться, убедитьсяRussian
Get even more translations for ascertain »
Find a translation for the ascertain definition in other languages:
Select another language: