Definitions for amendəˈmɛnd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word amend
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
to modify, rephrase, or add to or subtract from (a bill, constitution, etc.) by formal procedure:
Congress may amend the proposed tax bill.
to change for the better; improve.
to remove or correct faults in; rectify.
(v.i.)to grow or become better by reforming oneself.
* Syn: amend , emend both mean to alter, improve, or correct something written. amend is the general term, used of any such correction or improvement in details; it may refer to adding, taking away, or changing a character, word, or phrase: to amend spelling and punctuation in a report; to amend a contract. emend applies specifically to the critical alteration of a text in the process of editing or preparing it for publication; it implies improvement in the direction of greater accuracy: The scholar emended the text by restoring the original reading.
Origin of amend:
1175–1225; ME < OF amender < L ēmendāre to correct; see emend
make amendments to
"amend the document"
better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate(verb)
to make better
"The editor improved the manuscript with his changes"
rectify, remediate, remedy, repair, amend(verb)
set straight or right
"remedy these deficiencies"; "rectify the inequities in salaries"; "repair an oversight"
To make better.
To become better.
To heal (someone sick); to cure (a disease etc.).
To make a formal alteration in legislation by adding, deleting, or rephrasing.
Origin: From amender, from emendo, from ex + mendum. Confer aphetic mend.
to change or modify in any way for the better
by simply removing what is erroneous, corrupt, superfluous, faulty, and the like;
by supplying deficiencies;
by substituting something else in the place of what is removed; to rectify
to grow better by rectifying something wrong in manners or morals; to improve
The motion to amend, in parliamentary procedure, is used to modify another motion.
Translations for amend
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to correct or improve
We shall amend the error as soon as possible.
- يَصْلُح، يَحْسُنArabic
- corrigirPortuguese (BR)
- rette; korrigereDanish
- διορθώνω, βελτιώνωGreek
- enmendar, corregirSpanish
- اصلاح کردنFarsi
- לְתָקֵן, לְשַׁפֵּרHebrew
- संशोधन करनाHindi
- breyta til batnaðar, bætaIcelandic
- ištaisyti, pataisytiLithuanian
- labot; izdarīt labojumusLatvian
- rette på, forbedreNorwegian
- naprawiać, poprawiaćPolish
- اصلاح کردنPersian
- اصلاح کولPashto
- izmeniti, dopunitiSerbian
- rätta tillSwedish
- ทำให้ดีขึ้น; ปรับปรุงThai
- düzeltmek, değişiklik yapmakTurkish
- 修正，改善Chinese (Trad.)
- виправляти, вносити поправкиUkrainian
- ترمیم کرنا ، درست کرناUrdu
- sửa đổiVietnamese
- 改正，amendChinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for amend »
Find a translation for the amend definition in other languages:
Select another language: