Definitions for ambiguityˌæm bɪˈgyu ɪ ti
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word ambiguity
an expression whose meaning cannot be determined from its context
unclearness by virtue of having more than one meaning
Something liable to more than one interpretation, explanation or meaning, if that meaning etc cannot be determined from its context.
His speech was made with such great ambiguity that neither supporter nor opponent could be certain of his true position.
The state of being ambiguous.
Origin: From ambiguite, from ambiguite (French ambiguïté), from ambiguitas.
the quality or state of being ambiguous; doubtfulness or uncertainty, particularly as to the signification of language, arising from its admitting of more than one meaning; an equivocal word or expression
Origin: [L. ambiguitas, fr. ambiguus: cf. F. ambiguit.]
Ambiguity of information, in words, pictures, or other media, is the ability to express more than one interpretation. It is generally contrasted with vagueness, in that specific and distinct interpretations are permitted, whereas with information that is vague it is difficult to form any interpretation at the desired level of specificity. Context may play a role in resolving ambiguity. For example, the same piece of information may be ambiguous in one context and unambiguous in another.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'ambiguity' in Nouns Frequency: #2906
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A 'D' is a 'D' - there is no ambiguity.
Neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity.
Intolerance of ambiguity is the mark of an authoritarian personality.
If I take refuge in ambiguity, I assure you that it's quite conscious.
If I take refuge in ambiguity, I can assure you that it's quite conscious.
Images & Illustrations of ambiguity
Translations for ambiguity
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ambigüitatCatalan, Valencian
- mnohoznačnost, dvojsmyslCzech
- Doppeldeutigkeit, Mehrdeutigkeit, AmbiguitätGerman
- ambiguiteetti, monimerkityksisyys, monitulkintaisuusFinnish
- dà-sheaghachasScottish Gaelic
- երկիմաստություն, անորոշություն, երկդիմությունArmenian
- ორაზროვნება, გაურკვევლობაGeorgian
- AmbiguitéitLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- не́јасност, двосми́сленостMacedonian
- ambiguïteit, dubbelzinnigheidDutch
- нея́сность, двусмы́сленностьRussian
- ambigvitet, višeznačnost, амбигвитет, dvosmislenostSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for ambiguity »
Find a translation for the ambiguity definition in other languages:
Select another language: