subsequently, later, afterwards, afterward, after, later on(adverb)
happening at a time subsequent to a reference time
"he apologized subsequently"; "he's going to the store but he'll be back here later"; "it didn't happen until afterward"; "two hours after that"
At a later or succeeding time.
Origin: From æfteweard + -s#Etymology 3. Surface analysis is .
alt. of Afterward
Afterwards is a 2009 English-language psychological thriller film directed by Gilles Bourdos and starring Romain Duris, John Malkovich and Evangeline Lilly. Based on Guillaume Musso's novel Et après..., the story tells of a workaholic lawyer who is told by a self-proclaimed visionary that he must try to prevent his imminent death. The film was shot in New York City, Montreal and various New Mexico locations over June–July 2007, and had a French release in January 2009.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'afterwards' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2396
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'afterwards' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1476
Rank popularity for the word 'afterwards' in Adverbs Frequency: #178
The numerical value of afterwards in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of afterwards in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Keep thy eyes wide open before marriage, and half-shut afterwards.
The superior man acts before he speaks, and afterwards speaks according to his actions.
The impact on earnings per share is totally neutral in the first year and extremely positive afterwards.
When a U.S. law is passed it is very hard to change it afterwards - looks like it will be in place for decades.
The whole history of civilization is strewn with creeds and institutions which were invaluable at first, and deadly afterwards.
Images & Illustrations of afterwards
Translations for afterwards
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أخير, بعد ذلكArabic
- впоследствие, след товаBulgarian
- তারপর, এর পরে, তার পরে, তার পর, এরপরে, এর পর, তারপরেBengali
- desprésCatalan, Valencian
- poté, pozdějiCzech
- senere, bagefterDanish
- nachher, später, hinterher, danachGerman
- κατόπιν, ύστεραGreek
- jälkikäteen, jälkeenpäin, perästäpäin, sittemminFinnish
- après coup, ensuite, ultérieurement, aprèsFrench
- an dèidh làimhe, an dèidh sinScottish Gaelic
- utóbb, később, utólag, azutánHungarian
- 後で, それから, その後Japanese
- پاشان, له دواییاKurdish
- achteraf, nadienDutch
- etter, deretter, senere, etterpå, derpå, i etterkantNorwegian
- potem, późniejPolish
- [[mais]] [[tarde]], depoisPortuguese
- târziu, apoiRomanian
- потом, позже, послеRussian
- poslije, накнадно, потом, послије, potom, после, posle, kasnije, naknadno, каснијеSerbo-Croatian
- senare, efteråtSwedish
- daha sonra, sonradan, sonralarıTurkish
- sau này, về sau, sau đóVietnamese
Get even more translations for afterwards »
Find a translation for the afterwards definition in other languages:
Select another language: