Definitions for afterwards
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word afterwards
subsequently, later, afterwards, afterward, after, later on(adverb)
happening at a time subsequent to a reference time
"he apologized subsequently"; "he's going to the store but he'll be back here later"; "it didn't happen until afterward"; "two hours after that"
At a later or succeeding time.
Origin: From æfteweard + -s#Etymology 3. Surface analysis is .
alt. of Afterward
Afterwards is a 2009 English-language psychological thriller film directed by Gilles Bourdos and starring Romain Duris, John Malkovich and Evangeline Lilly. Based on Guillaume Musso's novel Et après..., the story tells of a workaholic lawyer who is told by a self-proclaimed visionary that he must try to prevent his imminent death. The film was shot in New York City, Montreal and various New Mexico locations over June–July 2007, and had a French release in January 2009.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'afterwards' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2396
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'afterwards' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1476
Rank popularity for the word 'afterwards' in Adverbs Frequency: #178
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A couple of women have wanted ‘selfies’ afterwards.
No, no! said the Queen. Sentence firstverdict afterwards.
Keep thy eyes wide open before marriage, and half-shut afterwards.
The more original a discovery, the more obvious it seems afterwards.
They haven't said until when we can stay or where we'll go afterwards.
Translations for afterwards
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أخير, بعد ذلكArabic
- впоследствие, след товаBulgarian
- তারপর, এর পরে, তার পরে, তার পর, এরপরে, এর পর, তারপরেBengali
- desprésCatalan, Valencian
- poté, pozdějiCzech
- senere, bagefterDanish
- nachher, später, hinterher, danachGerman
- κατόπιν, ύστεραGreek
- jälkikäteen, jälkeenpäin, perästäpäin, sittemminFinnish
- après coup, ensuite, ultérieurement, aprèsFrench
- an dèidh làimhe, an dèidh sinScottish Gaelic
- utóbb, később, utólag, azutánHungarian
- 後で, それから, その後Japanese
- پاشان, له دواییاKurdish
- achteraf, nadienDutch
- etter, deretter, senere, etterpå, derpå, i etterkantNorwegian
- potem, późniejPolish
- [[mais]] [[tarde]], depoisPortuguese
- târziu, apoiRomanian
- потом, позже, послеRussian
- poslije, накнадно, потом, послије, potom, после, posle, kasnije, naknadno, каснијеSerbo-Croatian
- senare, efteråtSwedish
- daha sonra, sonradan, sonralarıTurkish
- sau này, về sau, sau đóVietnamese
Get even more translations for afterwards »
Find a translation for the afterwards definition in other languages:
Select another language: