acquaintance, familiarity, conversance, conversancy(noun)
personal knowledge or information about someone or something
a relationship less intimate than friendship
a person with whom you are acquainted
"I have trouble remembering the names of all my acquaintances"; "we are friends of the family"
A state of being acquainted, or of having intimate, or more than slight or superficial, knowledge; personal knowledge gained by intercourse short of that of friendship or intimacy
I know of the man; but have no acquaintance with him.
A person or persons with whom one is acquainted.
Origin: From acointance. Compare French accointance.
a state of being acquainted, or of having intimate, or more than slight or superficial, knowledge; personal knowledge gained by intercourse short of that of friendship or intimacy; as, I know the man; but have no acquaintance with him
a person or persons with whom one is acquainted
The Roycroft Dictionary
Any one we bow to politely at the opera or shake hands with warmly in a barroom, but whom we would kick out of our homes. Hence, any one who has refused us a loan.
The numerical value of acquaintance in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of acquaintance in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Depth of friendship does not depend on length of acquaintance.
My son felt he had to do everything in his power to try to rescue a friend and acquaintance.
Acquaintance, n. A person whom we know well enough to borrow from, but not well enough to lend to.
Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance or a stranger.
Without an acquaintance with the rules of propriety, it is impossible for the character to be established.
Images & Illustrations of acquaintance
Translations for acquaintance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- познанство, познайникBulgarian
- ངོ་ཤེས་པTibetan Standard
- conegutCatalan, Valencian
- Bekannter, Bekannte, Umgang, BekanntschaftGerman
- γνωριμία, γνωστόςGreek
- junta, conocimiento, conocida, conocido, relación, amistad, tratoSpanish
- آشنا, آشناییPersian
- tuttu, tuttavuus, tuttava, tuttavasuhdeFinnish
- accointance, relation, fréquentationFrench
- ismeretség, ismerősHungarian
- ծանոթ, ծանոթությունArmenian
- 知り合い, 知人Japanese
- bekendheid, bekende, kennisDutch
- znajomy, znajomość, znajomaPolish
- [[ser]] [[conhecido]], conhecido, conhecimentoPortuguese
- cunoscută, cunoscut, cunoștințăRomanian
- знакомая, знакомство, знакомыйRussian
- pòznanica, pòznanīk, poznánstvoSerbo-Croatian
- známosť, známa, známySlovak
- bekantskap, bekantSwedish
- tanishuv, tanishUzbek
- người quenVietnamese
- hisevädan, sevädan, jisevädan, sevädVolapük
Get even more translations for acquaintance »
Find a translation for the acquaintance definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these acquaintance definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"acquaintance." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 28 Jun 2017. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/acquaintance>.