maltreatment, ill-treatment, ill-usage, abuse(noun)
cruel or inhumane treatment
"the child showed signs of physical abuse"
abuse, insult, revilement, contumely, vilification(noun)
a rude expression intended to offend or hurt
"when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"; "they yelled insults at the visiting team"
improper or excessive use
"alcohol abuse"; "the abuse of public funds"
mistreat, maltreat, abuse, ill-use, step, ill-treat(verb)
"This boss abuses his workers"; "She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
pervert, misuse, abuse(verb)
change the inherent purpose or function of something
"Don't abuse the system"; "The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers"
abuse, clapperclaw, blackguard, shout(verb)
use foul or abusive language towards
"The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"; "The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
use wrongly or improperly or excessively
"Her husband often abuses alcohol"; "while she was pregnant, she abused drugs"
to put to a wrong use; to misapply; to misuse; to put to a bad use; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to abuse inherited gold; to make an excessive use of; as, to abuse one's authority
to use ill; to maltreat; to act injuriously to; to punish or to tax excessively; to hurt; as, to abuse prisoners, to abuse one's powers, one's patience
to revile; to reproach coarsely; to disparage
to violate; to ravish
to deceive; to impose on
improper treatment or use; application to a wrong or bad purpose; misuse; as, an abuse of our natural powers; an abuse of civil rights, or of privileges or advantages; an abuse of language
physical ill treatment; injury
a corrupt practice or custom; offense; crime; fault; as, the abuses in the civil service
vituperative words; coarse, insulting speech; abusive language; virulent condemnation; reviling
violation; rape; as, abuse of a female child
Abuse is the improper usage or treatment of an entity, often to unfairly or improperly gain benefit. Abuse can come in many forms, such as: physical or verbal maltreatment, injury, sexual assault, violation, rape, unjust practices; wrongful practice or custom; offense; crime, or otherwise verbal aggression.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ab-ūz′, v.t. to use wrongly: to pervert: to revile: to violate.—ns. Abuse (ab-ūs′), ill use: misapplication: reproach: vituperation; Abū′sion (Spens.), abuse: deception: reproach.—adj. Abus′ive, containing or practising abuse: full of abuses: vituperative.—adv. Abus′ively.—n. Abus′iveness. [L. ab, away (from what is right), uti, usus, to use.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'abuse' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3044
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'abuse' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3063
Rank popularity for the word 'abuse' in Nouns Frequency: #1191
Rank popularity for the word 'abuse' in Verbs Frequency: #989
The numerical value of abuse in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of abuse in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Use, do not abuse neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Liberty may be endangered by the abuse of liberty, but also by the abuse of power.
Those who have survived this abuse have become true heralds of mercy. Humbly we owe each of them our gratitude for their great value, as they have had to suffer terrible abuse, sexual abuse of minors.
I know from my own experience from seeing police files on investigations into sexual abuse within the Scout Association that many of those people who have been victims of abuse choose not to bring compensation claims forward, in terms of figures, 50 is absolutely the tip of the iceberg.
The people who had the responsibility to take care of these tender ones violated that trust and caused them great pain, those who have survived this abuse have become true heralds of mercy. Humbly we owe each of them our gratitude for their great value, as they have had to suffer terrible abuse, sexual abuse of minors.
Images & Illustrations of abuse
Translations for abuse
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- оскърбление, злоупотребявам, изнасилвам, злоупотреба, обида, обиждам, оскърбявамBulgarian
- misbrug, mishandling, seksuelt misbrug, misbruge, krænke, vanrøgt, mishandleDanish
- Missbrauch, Mißbrauch, missbrauchen, Schmähung, Beleidigung, beleidigen, Mißhandlung, vergewaltigen, Beschimpfung, beschimpfen, MisshandlungGerman
- βρισιές, κακομεταχείριση, κατάχρησηGreek
- abuso, abuso sexualSpanish
- solvata, väärinkäyttää, raiskata, käyttää hyväksi, väärinkäyttö, solvaus, herjaus, väärinkäytös, pahoinpitely, hyväksikäyttö, pahoinpidellä, herjataFinnish
- abus, viol, abuserFrench
- càineadh, trod, cronachadhScottish Gaelic
- השתלחות, התעלל, השתלח, ניצול לרעה, התעללות, תקיפה מינית, ניצל לרעהHebrew
- बुरा भला कहना, दुरूपयोग, अपशब्द, गाली देनाHindi
- abuso, abuso sessuale, violenza carnale, violentare, violenza, abusareItalian
- 侮辱, 濫用, ののしる, 性的虐待, 酷使, 虐待Japanese
- abūsiō, probrum, obloquor, abūtorLatin
- abuséierenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- verkrachten, beschimpingen, beschimpen, uitschelden, misbruiken, onteren, mishandelen, misbruik, mishandelingDutch
- misbrukNorwegian Nynorsk
- misbruk, utskjelling, voldtekt, mishandle, mishandling, misbruke, skjelle ut, voldtaNorwegian
- atéʼélʼíNavajo, Navaho
- nadużycie, znęcanie się, molestowaniePolish
- ultrajar, afrontar, abusar, enganar, abuso, ofender, insultarPortuguese
- злоупотребление, брань, злоупотреблять, злоупотребить, истязание, нападки, оскорблять, оскорбить, ругать, материть, изнасиловать, оскорбление, ругань, издевательство, издеваться, насилие, обижать, обидеть, обругать, обматерить, насиловатьRussian
- злоупотреба, злостављање, zlostavljanje, злоупотребити, zlostavljati, zloupotreba, zloupotrebiti, злостављатиSerbo-Croatian
- misshandel, missbruka, misshandla, missbrukSwedish
- abuso, panggagahasa, pagmamalupitTagalog
- migeb, nofön, lunofön, migebön, slanön, lenofönVolapük
Get even more translations for abuse »
Find a translation for the abuse definition in other languages:
Select another language: