abruptly, suddenly, short, dead(adverb)
quickly and without warning
"he stopped suddenly"
In an abrupt manner; without giving notice, or without the usual forms; suddenly; precipitously.
in an abrupt manner; without giving notice, or without the usual forms; suddenly
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'abruptly' in Adverbs Frequency: #389
The numerical value of abruptly in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of abruptly in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
George It was the greatest feeling I ever had. Followed abruptly by the worst feeling I ever had.
The hunger has to stop abruptly ; if malnutrition continues after the baby is born the effect of developing diabetes is much less.
We hypothesize that you get it all out of the way in one go [by quitting abruptly]. In the gradual group, because they were put through it in a gradual way, they lost the motivation.
Keith Rosso, who was on the same flight, said Keith Rosso had just finished dinner when the flight staff abruptly took trays away and said the plane was landing due to' unsafe flying conditions.
Nothing is poorer than a truth expressed as it was thought. Committed to writing in such cases, it is not even a bad photograph. Truth wants to be startled abruptly, at one stroke, from her self-immersion, whether by uproar, music or cries for help.
Images & Illustrations of abruptly
Translations for abruptly
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- внезапно, безцеремонно, рязкоBulgarian
- precipitadament, abruptamentCatalan, Valencian
- unerwartet, abrupt, abgerissen, plötzlich, abschüssigGerman
- αιφνιδίως, εσπευσμένως, αποτόμωςGreek
- precipitadamente, abruptamenteSpanish
- äkkijyrkkä, yhtäkkiä, äkillinen, yht'äkkiä, äkillisestiFinnish
- tout d'un coup, précipitamment, abruptementFrench
- plots, plotseling, bruusk, abruptDutch
- abrupt, deodatăRomanian
- бесцеремонно, неожиданно, отрывисто, резко, внезапноRussian
Get even more translations for abruptly »
Find a translation for the abruptly definition in other languages:
Select another language: