Definitions for abroadəˈbrɔd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word abroad
in a foreign country
"markets abroad"; "overseas markets"
to or in a foreign country
"they had never travelled abroad"
far away from home or one's usual surroundings
"looking afield for new lands to conquer"- R.A.Hall
in a place across an ocean
countries or lands abroad
At large; widely; broadly; over a wide space
A tree spreads its branches abroad.
Without a certain confine; outside the house; away from one's abode
to walk abroad
Beyond the bounds of a country; in foreign countries.
We have broils at home and enemies abroad.
Before the public at large; throughout society or the world; here and there; widely.
Not on target; astray; in error.
Played elsewhere than one's home grounds; as in a sport's team.
Origin: * First attested in mid 13th century. From abrood, from a- + brood.
at large; widely; broadly; over a wide space; as, a tree spreads its branches abroad
without a certain confine; outside the house; away from one's abode; as, to walk abroad
beyond the bounds of a country; in foreign countries; as, we have broils at home and enemies abroad
before the public at large; throughout society or the world; here and there; widely
Origin: [Pref. a- + broad.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
a-brawd′, adv. on the broad or open space: out of doors: public: in another country. [Prep. a, and Broad.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'abroad' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2620
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'abroad' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2947
Rank popularity for the word 'abroad' in Adverbs Frequency: #211
The numerical value of abroad in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of abroad in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Empire abroad entails tyranny at home
The outlook abroad appears to have become less certain.
The decline in orders from abroad paints a dim picture.
We can not play innocents abroad in a world that is not innocent.
Look abroad through Nature's range, Nature's mighty law is change.
Images & Illustrations of abroad
Translations for abroad
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- في الخارج, الى الخارجArabic
- извън къщи, открито, чужбина, навсякъде, странство, границаBulgarian
- a l'estrangerCatalan, Valencian
- v zahraničíCzech
- al exterior, en todas direciones, por todas partes, en el exterior, en el extranjeroSpanish
- laajalle, laajalla, ulkona, ulkomaat, ulkomaille, ulkomaillaFinnish
- à l'étranger, étrangerFrench
- thall thairis, a-null thairisScottish Gaelic
- ass y çheerManx
- aletranjeHaitian Creole
- na ùfèsịIgbo
- 在外, 海外, 国外, 外国Japanese
- 국외, 해외Korean
- utenlands, utanlands, utlandetNorwegian
- além-mar, ao, exterior, no, [[fora]] [[de]] [[casa]], largamente, estrangeiro, amplamente, ultramarPortuguese
- повсю́ду, вширь, заграница, [[на]] [[улица, везде́, нару́жу, [[за]] [[граница, зарубежье, [[за]] [[рубеж, [[за]] [[рубе́ж]], широко́, снару́жиRussian
- inostranstvo, иностранствоSerbo-Croatian
- utrikes, utomlandsSwedish
Get even more translations for abroad »
Find a translation for the abroad definition in other languages:
Select another language: