Definitions for abeyanceəˈbeɪ əns
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word abeyance
temporary cessation or suspension
Expectancy; condition of being undetermined; undetermined ownership; lapse in succession of ownership of estate, or title.
Suspension; temporary suppression.
Expectancy of a title, its right in existence but its exercise suspended.
The broad pennant of a commodore first class has been in abeyance since 1958, together with the rank.
Origin: * First attested in 1528.
expectancy; condition of being undetermined
suspension; temporary suppression
Origin: [OF. abeance expectation, longing; a (L. ad) + baer, beer, to gape, to look with open mouth, to expect, F. bayer, LL. badare to gape.]
Abeyance is a state of expectancy in respect of property, titles or office, when the right to them is not vested in any one person, but awaits the appearance or determination of the true owner. In law, the term abeyance can only be applied to such future estates as have not yet vested or possibly may not vest. For example, an estate is granted to A for life, with remainder to the heir of B. During B's lifetime, the remainder is in abeyance, for until the death of B it is uncertain who is B's heir. Similarly the freehold of a benefice, on the death of the incumbent, is said to be in abeyance until the next incumbent takes possession.
Translations for abeyance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- изчакване, временно бездействие, суспендиранеBulgarian
- Schwebezustand, UnentschiedenheitGerman
- suspensión, suspenso, expectativa, desuso, esperanzaSpanish
- jäädytys, lepääminen, lykättynä, lepäämässä, lykkäys, jäädytettynäFinnish
- en suspens, suspension, vacance, vacantFrench
- opschorting, uitstel, onbeslistheid, onzekerheidDutch
- uavklart, utsettelseNorwegian
- vagatura, pendência, suspensão, vacatura, vacânciaPortuguese
- приостановление, [[состояние]] [[неопределённостьRussian
Get even more translations for abeyance »
Find a translation for the abeyance definition in other languages:
Select another language: