a shortened form of a word or phrase
shortening something by omitting parts of it
A shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole: Dr.
The act or result of shortening or reducing.
One or more dashes through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, demisemiquavers, or hemidemisemiquavers.
A notation used in music score to denote a direction, as pp or mf.
Any convenient spoken or written short form for an understood or inferred whole.
Reduction to lower terms, as a fraction.
Loss during evolution of the final stages of the ancestral ontogenetic pattern.
Origin: * First attested 1400–50.
the act of shortening, or reducing
the result of abbreviating; an abridgment
the form to which a word or phrase is reduced by contraction and omission; a letter or letters, standing for a word or phrase of which they are a part; as, Gen. for Genesis; U.S.A. for United States of America
one dash, or more, through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, or demi-semiquavers
Origin: [LL. abbreviatio: cf. F. abbrviation.]
An abbreviation is a shortened form of a word or phrase. Usually, but not always, it consists of a letter or group of letters taken from the word or phrase. For example, the word abbreviation can itself be represented by the abbreviation abbr., abbrv. or abbrev. In strict analysis, abbreviations should not be confused with contractions or acronyms, with which they share some semantic and phonetic functions, though all three are connoted by the term "abbreviation" in loose parlance.An abbreviation is a shortening by any method; a contraction is a reduction of size by the drawing together of the parts. A contraction of a word is made by omitting certain letters or syllables and bringing together the first and last letters or elements; an abbreviation may be made by omitting certain portions from the interior or by cutting off a part. A contraction is an abbreviation, but an abbreviation is not necessarily a contraction. However, normally, acronyms are regarded as a subgroup of abbreviations. Abbreviations can also be used to give a different context to the word itself, such as "PIN Number".
The numerical value of abbreviation in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of abbreviation in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I'm perplexed when people adopt the modish abbreviation Ms., which doesn't abbreviate anything except common sense.
For us, there is no difference between the PKK, PYD, YPG, DHKP-C ... or whatever their abbreviation may be. One terrorist organization is no different than the other.
A crash is when your competitor's program dies. When your program dies, it is an 'idiosyncrasy'. Frequently, crashes are followed with a message like 'ID 02'. 'ID' is an abbreviation for idiosyncrasy and the number that follows indicates how many more months of testing the product should have had.
Images & Illustrations of abbreviation
Translations for abbreviation
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- съкращаване, абревиату́ра, скъсяванеBulgarian
- abreviaturaCatalan, Valencian
- krácení, zkrácení, zkratkaCzech
- Kurzform, Kürzel, Kurzbezeichnung, Abkürzung, KürzenGerman
- συντομογραφία, σύνοψη, συντόμευση, σύντμηση, βραχυγραφίαGreek
- lyhenne, lyhennys, lyhennelmä, lyhennysmerkki, lyhennös, lyhentäminenFinnish
- ôfkoartingWestern Frisian
- nod, giorrúchán, giorrúIrish
- giorrachadhScottish Gaelic
- ראשי תיבותHebrew
- skammstöfun, styttingIcelandic
- abbreviatura, abbreviazione, riassunto, acronimoItalian
- 短縮, 略語, 省略, 略, 略字Japanese
- 약자, 생략, 약어Korean
- abbreviātiō, abbreviationLatin
- OfkierzungLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- forkorting, forkortelseNorwegian
- afkorting, verkortingDutch
- forkortingNorwegian Nynorsk
- forkorting, forkortelseNorwegian
- redukcja, skrót, skracaniePolish
- abreviação, abreviaturaPortuguese
- prescurtare, abreviere, abreviațieRomanian
- сокраще́ние, аббревиа́ция, аббревиату́ра, уреза́ниеRussian
- abrevijacija, skraćenica, абревијација, kratica, скраћеницаSerbo-Croatian
- kratica, okrajšavaSlovene
- förkortning, förkortandeSwedish
- bài tóm tắt, từ viết tắt, chữ viết tắt, sự rút gọn, sự rút ngắnVietnamese
Get even more translations for abbreviation »
Find a translation for the abbreviation definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these abbreviation definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"abbreviation." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 23 May 2017. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/abbreviation>.