Definitions for WANTwɒnt, wɔnt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word WANT
privation, want, deprivation, neediness(noun)
a state of extreme poverty
lack, deficiency, want(noun)
the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable
"there is a serious lack of insight into the problem"; "water is the critical deficiency in desert regions"; "for want of a nail the shoe was lost"
anything that is necessary but lacking
"he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs"; "I tried to supply his wants"
wish, wishing, want(verb)
a specific feeling of desire
"he got his wish"; "he was above all wishing and desire"
feel or have a desire for; want strongly
"I want to go home now"; "I want my own room"
want, need, require(verb)
have need of
"This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
hunt or look for; want for a particular reason
"Your former neighbor is wanted by the FBI"; "Uncle Sam wants you"
wish or demand the presence of
"I want you here at noon!"
be without, lack; be deficient in
"want courtesy"; "want the strength to go on living"; "flood victims wanting food and shelter"
A desire, wish, longing.
To wish for or to desire (something).
To be lacking, not to exist.
There was something wanting in the play.
To lack, not to have (something).
To be in need of; to require (something).
That chair wants fixing.
A personification of want.
Origin: Misspelt possibly by pronunciatory disanalogy with wonder–wander — whose first syllables are pronounced, respectively, and — the latter being closer to the pronunciation of won't: .
the state of not having; the condition of being without anything; absence or scarcity of what is needed or desired; deficiency; lack; as, a want of power or knowledge for any purpose; want of food and clothing
specifically, absence or lack of necessaries; destitution; poverty; penury; indigence; need
that which is needed or desired; a thing of which the loss is felt; what is not possessed, and is necessary for use or pleasure
a depression in coal strata, hollowed out before the subsequent deposition took place
to be without; to be destitute of, or deficient in; not to have; to lack; as, to want knowledge; to want judgment; to want learning; to want food and clothing
to have occasion for, as useful, proper, or requisite; to require; to need; as, in winter we want a fire; in summer we want cooling breezes
to feel need of; to wish or long for; to desire; to crave
to be absent; to be deficient or lacking; to fail; not to be sufficient; to fall or come short; to lack; -- often used impersonally with of; as, it wants ten minutes of four
to be in a state of destitution; to be needy; to lack
After he gets into the head of an insane man driven to torture, murder, and cannibalism by overwhelming despair and loneliness, Goren surprises his colleagues with a passionate plea that the man be spared the death penalty, and engineers the confession that will save the man's life through a plea bargain.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'WANT' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #197
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'WANT' in Written Corpus Frequency: #95
Rank popularity for the word 'WANT' in Verbs Frequency: #23
Anagrams of WANT
Translations for WANT
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أراد, رغبArabic
- жада́ць, хаце́ць, пажада́ць, захаце́цьBelarusian
- и́скам, жела́яBulgarian
- volerCatalan, Valencian
- хотѣтиOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- ville, kræveDanish
- Mangel, Not, wollenGerman
- afán, desear, querer, faltaSpanish
- tahtma, soovimaEstonian
- nahi izanBasque
- تنگدستی, نیاز, آرزو, خواستن, خواست, بینواییPersian
- köyhyys, haluta, puute, tahtoaFinnish
- vouloir, pauvreté, besoin, misère, manque, avoir envieFrench
- is mian le, díothachtIrish
- easbhaidh, gainne, cion, iarr, gainneadScottish Gaelic
- պակաս, ուզել, ուզենալ, կարիքArmenian
- ingin, mau, hendakIndonesian
- volar, dezirarIdo
- povertà, volere, miseria, mancanzaItalian
- たい, 欲する, 望む, 欲しい, たがるJapanese
- келу, тілеуKazakh
- ចង់, ចង់បានKhmer
- 원하다, 바라다, 빌다, 싶다Korean
- viyan, خواستن, xwestinKurdish
- келүү, қалау, каалооKyrgyz
- desidero, volo, careoLatin
- ຢາກ, ຕ້ອງການ, ເອົາLao
- gribēt, vēlētiesLatvian
- hendak, mahu, inginMalay
- အလို, လိုBurmese
- tekort, willenDutch
- ønske, mangel, ville, behovNorwegian
- chcieć, życzyćPolish
- desejar, querer, afãPortuguese
- vuler, vulair, ler, leir, vuleirRomansh
- vrea, lipsăRomanian
- захоте́ть, нищета, бедность, отсутствие, пожела́ть, желание, недостаток, нужда, жела́ть, потребность, хоте́тьRussian
- bòliri, bòlliri, chèrrere, bolliSardinian
- hteti, хтети, htjeti, хтјетиSerbo-Croatian
- අඩුව පවතිනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- batlaSouthern Sotho
- brist, viljaSwedish
- కోరిక, కోరుకొను, వాంఛించు, వాంఛTelugu
- อยาก, เอา, ต้องการThai
- gereklemek, islemekTurkmen
- istek, istemekTurkish
- бажа́ти, хоті́тиUkrainian
- istamoq, xohlamoqUzbek
- muốn, cầnVietnamese
Get even more translations for WANT »
Find a translation for the WANT definition in other languages:
Select another language: