Definitions for Universityˌyu nəˈvɜr sɪ ti
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word University
the body of faculty and students at a university
establishment where a seat of higher learning is housed, including administrative and living quarters as well as facilities for research and teaching
a large and diverse institution of higher learning created to educate for life and for a profession and to grant degrees
Institution of higher education (typically accepting students from the age of about 17 or 18, depending on country, but in some cases able to take younger students in exceptional cases) where subjects are studied and researched in depth and degrees are offered.
Origin: "institution of higher learning," "body of persons constituting a university," from université, from universitei, from stem of universitas, in juridical and "A number of persons associated into one body, a society, company, community, guild, corporation, etc.," in , "the whole, aggregate," from universus
the universe; the whole
an association, society, guild, or corporation, esp. one capable of having and acquiring property
an institution organized and incorporated for the purpose of imparting instruction, examining students, and otherwise promoting education in the higher branches of literature, science, art, etc., empowered to confer degrees in the several arts and faculties, as in theology, law, medicine, music, etc. A university may exist without having any college connected with it, or it may consist of but one college, or it may comprise an assemblage of colleges established in any place, with professors for instructing students in the sciences and other branches of learning
A university is an institution of higher education and research which grants academic degrees in a variety of subjects and provides both undergraduate education and postgraduate education. The word "university" is derived from the Latin universitas magistrorum et scholarium, which roughly means "community of teachers and scholars."
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ū-ni-vėr′si-ti, n. a corporation of teachers or assemblage of colleges for teaching the higher branches of learning, and having power to confer degrees. [L. universitas, a corporation—universus.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. An institution for the prevention of learning. 2. A place where rich men send their sons who have no aptitude for business. 3. A plan for the elimination of physical culture and the exaltation of athletics. 4. A literary, gonococci culture-bed. 5. A collection of buildings which emit the odor of the classics and omit the odor of sanctity. 6. A place wherein the youthful mind is taught the danger of thinking.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'University' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #569
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'University' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1017
Rank popularity for the word 'University' in Nouns Frequency: #196
The numerical value of University in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of University in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It is a very real university.
No university should have a license to discriminate.
Victory is a good wine; defeat is a good university!
I hope none of you have a degree from Trump University.
The true university of these days is a collection of books.
Images & Illustrations of University
Translations for University
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- جامِعَة, جامعةArabic
- universitatCatalan, Valencian
- Universität, HochschuleGerman
- oilthighScottish Gaelic
- mbo'ehao guasuGuaraní
- महाविद्यालय, विश्वविद्यालय, यूनिवर्सिटी, विHindi
- inivèsiteHaitian Creole
- ilisimatusarfikKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- ವಿಶ್ವವಿದ್ಯಾನಿಲಯ, ಕಲಿವೀಡುKannada
- 대학, 大學, 대학교Korean
- zanîngeh, zankoKurdish
- universitas, studium generaleLatin
- UniversitéitLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- augstskola, universitāteLatvian
- их сургуульMongolian
- madrasah jamiah, universiti, menara gadingMalay
- universitair, universiteitDutch
- universitetNorwegian Nynorsk
- پوهنتونPashto, Pushto
- универзитет, univerzitet, sveučilište, свеучилиштеSerbo-Croatian
- විශ්ව විද්යාලයSinhala, Sinhalese
- universitet, högskolaSwedish
- chuo kikuuSwahili
- üniversite, bilimyurduTurkish
- یونیورسٹی, جامعہUrdu
- trường đại học, đại học, 大學Vietnamese
Get even more translations for University »
Find a translation for the University definition in other languages:
Select another language: