Definitions for Twiddleˈtwɪd l
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
twid•dleˈtwɪd l(v.; n.)-dled, -dling
(v.t.)to turn about or play with lightly or idly, esp. with the fingers; twirl.
(v.i.)to play or trifle idly with something; fiddle.
to turn about lightly; twirl.
(n.)the act of twiddling; turn; twirl.
Idioms for twiddle:
twiddle one's thumbs, to do nothing; be idle.
Origin of twiddle:
1530–40; perh. b. twitch and fiddle
a series of small (usually idle) twists or turns
twirl, swirl, twiddle, whirl(verb)
turn in a twisting or spinning motion
"The leaves swirled in the autumn wind"
twiddle, fiddle with(verb)
manipulate, as in a nervous or unconscious manner
"He twiddled his thumbs while waiting for the interview"
To wiggle, fidget or play with; to move around.
To flip or switch two adjacent bits.
To be in an equivalence relation with.
to touch lightly, or play with; to tweedle; to twirl; as, to twiddle one's thumbs; to twiddle a watch key
to play with anything; hence, to be busy about trifles
a slight twist with the fingers
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Tilde (ASCII 1111110, ~). Also called squiggle, sqiggle (sic — pronounced /skig´l/), and twaddle, but twiddle is the most common term. 2. A small and insignificant change to a program. Usually fixes one bug and generates several new ones (see also shotgun debugging). 3. vt. To change something in a small way. Bits, for example, are often twiddled. Twiddling a switch or knobs implies much less sense of purpose than toggling or tweaking it; see frobnicate. To speak of twiddling a bit connotes aimlessness, and at best doesn't specify what you're doing to the bit; ‘toggling a bit’ has a more specific meaning (see bit twiddling, toggle). 4. Uncommon name for the twirling baton prompt.
Translations for Twiddle
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to twist (something) round and round
He twiddled the knob on the radio.
- draai, ronddraaiAfrikaans
- يَعْبَث بأصابِعِهArabic
- girarPortuguese (BR)
- (hacer) girarSpanish
- چرخیدن یا چرخاندنFarsi
- לְסוֹבֵב סְתָםHebrew
- फिराना, से खेलनाHindi
- okretati, vrtjetiCroatian
- ujjával forgatHungarian
- (~을) 돌리다Korean
- griezt; grozītLatvian
- zitten te draaienDutch
- snu og vende på; tvinne (tommeltotter)Norwegian
- kręcić w kółkoPolish
- چرخیدن یا چرخاندنPersian
- څرخیدل یا څرخولPashto
- snurra påSwedish
- döndürmek, döndürüp durmakTurkish
- 旋弄Chinese (Trad.)
- вертіти, крутитиUkrainian
- 旋弄Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for Twiddle »